Child dead after being hit by car in Salt Lake City
UPDATE: The victim in this crash was identified Thursday morning as an 11-year-old girl.
“To respect the privacy of the family, the name of the 11-year-old girl who died is currently not being released,” read a press release from the Salt Lake City Police Department.
Police said no arrests have been made at this time, adding that the driver — identified as a 47-year-old man — is cooperating with the investigation, which is ongoing.
According to the release, this crash marks the 24th traffic-related fatality this year in Salt Lake City.
Our earlier story continues below.
SALT LAKE CITY — One person has died from their injuries following an auto-pedestrian crash in Salt Lake City.
Salt Lake City Police Det. Ben Nielsen said at approximately 3:30 p.m., a driver was turning from 1300 South to 2100 East when he hit a pedestrian on the road.
“We believe that they were in the crosswalk when this happened,” Nielsen explained.
Even though witnesses began first aid on the pedestrian and they were sent to the hospital, they ultimately died from their injuries.
“Driver is on-scene. He is complying. He is cooperating with the investigation,” Nielsen said.
Police shut down the road for about four hours as they investigated the scene.
According to statement from SLCPD, the driver hit the victim while they were on a marked crosswalk, but it’s still unclear what exactly went wrong.
“Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of anybody that was involved with this situation,” Nielsen expressed.
Police have not released any details on the pedestrian as of Wednesday.
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 9542)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9110)
- Earth's inner core may have stopped turning and could go into reverse, study suggests (pageviews: 7586)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 6434)
- Man chases teens after shots fired at Taylorsville High (pageviews: 3898)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3647)