UHP: Driver pulled over for going 102 mph in winter conditions; troopers respond to almost 100 crashes
SALT LAKE CITY — State troopers say they responded to just under 100 crashes since early Monday morning and made several traffic stops, including one for a driver going over 100 mph.
Officials with the Utah Highway Patrol said some of their traffic stops involved speeds of 90, 91, 93, 96 and 102 mph.
“Poor decisions result in bad consequences, please make the choice to drive slower so we can all be safe,” troopers said in a Facebook post.
Troopers have responded to just under 100 crashes since midnight, we have also made several traffic stops with drivers going EXTREMELY too fast in these winter weather conditions.
Poor decisions result in bad consequences, make the choice to drive slower. pic.twitter.com/US3lOqZbeW
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) December 13, 2022
“It takes all of us, every driver, to keep our roadways safe,” UHP Col. Michael Rapich added. “Extreme bad driving behavior is simply not acceptable, especially when we are working through weather-related challenges.”
Slick commute conditions
Cold ground temperatures mean even light snow is sticking to Utah’s roads, and morning commuters dealt with several crashes across the state.
The heaviest impacts were between Point of the Mountain and north Orem on Interstate 15 with drive times more than doubling Tuesday morning.
We’ve switched to cold NW flow aloft and that will keep light fluffy snow going into the lunch hour potentially #utwx ❄️
Cold ground temps and low water content in this snow could allow for some decent snow stacking and totals. pic.twitter.com/v5oyU4lV03
— Matthew Johnson (@KSL_Matt) December 13, 2022
KSL meteorologist Matt Johnson said on-and-off snow showers could continue to impact roads through Tuesday afternoon and some models say snow could linger through the evening commute.
A winter storm warning remains in effect for the Wasatch Back through 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)