Several evacuated after fire impacts two Provo homes
PROVO, Utah — Several people were evacuated from their homes early Tuesday morning after a fire broke out in a Provo home and spread to another.
Deputy Fire Marshal Jeanie Atherton with Provo Fire & Rescue said the fire started in a home near 200 North and 800 East around 3 a.m. Two parents and their three children were able to get out of the home, and no injuries were reported.
The fire then spread to a detached garage in a home on the left. Firefighters told KSL TV’s Matt Rascon they were able to contain the flames to the second home’s garage.
A couple that escaped from that home said they got married just six months ago.
No cause for the fire has been released, but firefighters reminded the public to be careful with portable heaters and other electrical equipment as temperatures drop.
“This time of year is always concerning for us because people use a lot of portable heating devices,” Atherton said. “We just ask residents as it gets really cold, if you’re using portable heating equipment make sure you plug it directly into a wall outlet. If you have to use an extension cord make sure it’s graded for that equipment.”
Family in the home on the right woke up to the smell of smoke. Came outside to see a fire in the carport. They managed to get out with their 3 kids. Fire then spread to the garage next door. That couple was also able to get out.@KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/QtQzVjFp3V
— Matt Rascon (@MattRasconNews) December 20, 2022
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 13464)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 10146)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10091)
- Utah truck driver arrested in California cold case from 1994 (pageviews: 6951)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 5445)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5414)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 4793)