SLC Mayor signs emergency declaration to expand homeless shelter capacity after five deaths
SALT LAKE CITY — Mayor Erin Mendenhall signed an emergency declaration to expand capacity at homeless resource centers in Salt Lake City after five people experiencing homelessness have died on the streets.
As soon as service providers can make the beds available, that will create 25 additional beds at both shelters in Salt Lake City.
Mendenhall said mayors in both South Salt Lake and Millcreek are planning to sign similar emergency orders Tuesday. Combined with South Salt Lake and Millcreek’s emergency effort, the additional beds will total 95.
EVERY #SLC resident deserves a safe place to sleep at night which is why I have signed an emergency order authorizing homeless resource centers in #SLC to further expand their capacity, effective immediately. This will allow for 25 added beds at each of the two shelters in #SLC. pic.twitter.com/dM1LJOG4E0
— Mayor Erin Mendenhall (@slcmayor) December 20, 2022
The state of Utah – out of Wayne Neiderhauser’s office, is providing the necessary funding to pay for the resources and staffing costs.
Following a multi-day snowstorm, temperatures plummeted over the weekend with overnight lows in the teens creating deadly conditions for people experiencing homelessness. Salt Lake City’s overnight lows included: Friday 15 ℉, Saturday 14℉, Sunday 12℉, and Monday 14℉.
Temperatures are expected to drop again Thursday and Friday to teens and single digits.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)