Sandy woman’s Christmas tradition: 52 holiday stockings
SANDY, Utah — Sometimes, decorating for Christmas isn’t just as simple as putting up a tree and buying gifts for a few close loved ones.
For 92-year-old Geneal Stowe, the centerpiece of her holiday display rests on her fireplace, in the form of 52 holiday stockings with the names of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.
“I don’t think there’s anybody else I know of that does all these socks like I do,” Stowe said during an interview with KSL TV.
— Andrew Adams (@AndrewAdamsKSL) December 24, 2022
Stowe said she began the tradition 12 years ago, following the death of her husband.
“It just kind of helps me fill in the time,” she acknowledged.
Filling in the time is something Stowe has found more important with every passing day.
“(It is), especially now that I can’t drive because of my vision,” Stowe said
Stowe acknowledged macular degeneration had done a number on her golden years, and when it comes time in the spring to work on a 53rd stocking for the newest family member, it will likely require the help of her daughter to cut out the letters.
Regardless, the tradition of having her posterity over to her home to find their stockings and take pictures has been a priceless endeavor.
“I mean, they all just say, ‘Where’s my name, grandma?’” Stowe beamed. “They’re a joy.”
Filling all 52 stockings has come at an obvious cost, something Stowe has embraced with love.
“They’re worth it,” Stowe said. “I enjoy every one of them.”
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)