South Salt Lake homicide suspects arrested in California, missing infant safe
SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah — The three outstanding suspects tied to a homicide case near a WinCo in May are in police custody as of Thursday.
South Salt Lake police spokeswoman Danielle Croyle confirmed to KSL that 24-year-old Mckennalyn Elizabeth Cummins and 30-year-old Terell Dayshawn Jones were arrested in Oakland, California, by United States Marshals Service on Dec. 19.
Cummins and Jones were booked into the Alameda County jail for felony fugitive from justice charges and are waiting for extradition to back to Salt Lake City. According to court documents, they had arrest warrants for felony charges of murder, aggravated robbery, and obstructing justice.
The third outstanding suspect, 21-year-old Stafon Dshawn Coleman (JR.), turned himself into the Salt Lake County Jail on Nov. 7, said Croyle.
According to the Salt Lake County Jail, Coleman (JR.) was booked for felony charges of obstructing justice, aggravated robbery, murder, possessing a firearm by a restricted person, possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute, distributing of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor charge of driving on revocation, and a speeding infraction.
On May 9, 27-year-old Romeo Charles Stevens was found dead with several gunshot wounds on Main Street, south of Utopia Avenue. Police believe an altercation started between the victim and the four suspects in a nearby WinCo parking lot that escalated into gunfire.
The next day, SSLPD said they arrested 27-year-old Damian Stafon Coleman for felony murder, aggravated robbery, and obstructing justice.
On Aug. 10, 47-year-old Kenya Coleman, 49-year-old Stafon Dshawn Coleman (SR.), and 20-year-old Liana Blas were arrested for felony obstruction of justice with their involvement in the homicide case.
Shortly later, SSLPD asked the public for help finding a missing infant that Coleman (JR.) took with him. Croyle said that his lawyers confirmed to police that the infant is now safe.
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)