Weapons and illegal drugs found during routine traffic stop, SLCPD said
SALT LAKE CITY — Police made an arrest after they found weapons and illegal drugs during a traffic stop turned drug bust in downtown Salt Lake City.
A man was pulled over for a traffic violation at approximately 8 p.m. Tuesday near 160 West 600 South. Salt Lake City police said when they spoke with the driver, they could smell marijuana and see drug paraphernalia in the car.
They recovered a gun, two knives, methamphetamine, and drug paraphernalia from the car and arrested 44-year-old Rodney Austin. Upon checking records, officers learned that Austin was illegally driving on a suspended license while also under multiple warrants.
“Our officers started 2023 off by doing what they do every day, helping to keep our communities safe,” SLCPD Chief Mike Brown said. “Recovering these dangerous weapons, which were illegally possessed, and these illegal drugs helps reduce violent crime in Salt Lake City.”
Austin was booked in the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on several charges, including:
- Failure to signal
- Driving on Suspension
- Felony Possession of a Dangerous Weapon by a Restricted Person (one count)
- Misdemeanor Possession of a Dangerous Weapon by a Restricted Person (two counts)
- Possession of a Controlled Substance with Intent to Distribute
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)