One dead, one injured in Utah avalanche
SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — One person is dead and another has been hospitalized after both individuals were buried in an avalanche.
According to Summit County Sheriff’s Office, at approximately 3:30 p.m. Thursday, dispatch received a call of an avalanche in the Weber Canyon backcountry.
Multiple agencies responded and located to individuals who were buried by the avalanche. Life saving measures were performed but one person was pronounced dead. The other was transported to a nearby hospital.
The person who was hospitalized is expected to survive according to officials. No details were available about the ages or sex of the victims and it is not known if they were with a larger group.
#BREAKING Summit County Dispatch says two people were buried in an avalanche at around 3:30 pm in the Weber Canyon backcountry.
One person died, the other is in the hospital. Stay with @KSL5TV for the latest. pic.twitter.com/P66scpjpXm
— Ashley Moser (@AshleyMoser) March 10, 2023
A social media post from police stated, “Due to the location of this incident, specific details of the incident and the individuals involved are unknown at this time. We do not anticipate receiving updated information for several hours. We will update our social media as more information becomes available.”
KSL 5 TV Live
- I-80 to close over weekend for elk relocation (pageviews: 98196)
- Why Zion's popular Narrows hike could be closed for months (pageviews: 30883)
- 2 hikers found dead in Kane County slot canyon identified (pageviews: 18110)
- West Valley parents arrested in abuse of 3-month-old with 4 broken bones (pageviews: 9810)
- One flown, two others transported to hospital after head-on collision (pageviews: 9138)
- Trial for Gwyneth Paltrow over ski collision begins on Tuesday (pageviews: 7092)
- Man paroled 2 weeks ago from Utah prison arrested again in aggravated robbery (pageviews: 5747)