SR 31 closed until Thursday due to avalanches
Mar 12, 2023, 9:51 PM | Updated: Mar 13, 2023, 5:18 am
(Emery County Sheriff's Office)
EMERY COUNTY, Utah — A part of Huntington Canyon will remain closed for the week as clean-up crews remove avalanche debris.
On Saturday evening, the Emery County Sheriff’s Office said that state Route 31 was closed from the Crandall Canyon intersection to Fairview, Utah, because of an avalanche.
The next day, Utah Department of Transportation officials advised the sheriff’s office that conditions had worsened in the canyon and several more avalanches were impacting the roadway.
“UDOT stated that they will be bringing in a helicopter for avalanche control and will then begin cleanup efforts,” according to the sheriff’s office Facebook post.
Officials expect clean-up to take most of the week and hope to reopen the road by Thursday.
KSL 5 TV Live
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 76405)
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 22066)
- More snow piles up Sunday and it's not over yet (pageviews: 15455)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 12156)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 12014)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 10654)
- 3 killed in multi-vehicle crash; NB I-15 closed for several hours in Box Elder County (pageviews: 8197)