On the Site:


Electric smoker suspected cause of Layton housefire

Jun 16, 2023, 8:17 PM

Layton house fire...

Coals from an electric smoker are believed to have caused an extensive house fire in Layton Wednesday. (Layton Fire Department)

(Layton Fire Department)

LAYTON, Utah — Coals that fell out of an electric smoker are believed to have caused an extensive house fire in Layton Wednesday firefighters said.

The call went out at 4:33 p.m. near E 400 South and S. Whitesides Street.

The homeowner tried to stop the flames the fire department said.

“Reports from the homeowner indicate that hot coals or embers fell out of the smoker, igniting the deck and quickly spreading to the side of the home,” a fire department post on social media stated. “The fire eventually extended into the attic and open windows, posing a significant threat to the occupied residence.”

Coals from an electric smoker are believed to have caused an extensive house fire in Layton Wednesday. (Layton Fire Department) Coals from an electric smoker are believed to have caused an extensive house fire in Layton Wednesday. (Layton Fire Department) Coals from an electric smoker are believed to have caused an extensive house fire in Layton Wednesday. (Layton Fire Department)

The homeowner was treated for injuries at the scene. A neighbor who tried to help was treated for smoke inhalation and two firefighters were evaluated for heat exhaustion. In addition, three family dogs died in the fire.

The Layton Fire Department stressed the importance of fire safety when cooking outdoors.

The department recommended the following safety tips:

  1. Maintain a safe distance: Keep BBQ grills, smokers, and open flames at least 10 feet away from any structures, combustible materials, or overhanging branches.
  2. Properly extinguish hot coals and embers: Ensure that hot coals and embers from BBQ grills or smokers are fully extinguished before disposing of them in designated fire-safe containers.
  3. Monitor your cooking: Never leave outdoor cooking equipment unattended. Stay vigilant and maintain constant supervision to prevent accidents.

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

(KSL TV)...

Matt Gephardt & Cimaron Neugebauer

Bountiful woman left without phone service or answers days after her husband dies

When you pay for a phone service, you expect it to work. But after being unable to make or receive calls despite reaching out to the provider multiple times to fix it – a Utah woman decided it was time to Get Gephardt.

7 hours ago

Cami Johnson reported to police in 2017 that she was drugged and sexually assaulted by her ex-husba...

Daniella Rivera

Sexual assault survivor says delays in police investigation allowed perpetrator to attack a teenager

A Utah woman said delays in properly investigating her report of sexual assault allowed her perpetrator to remain free and attack a teenage girl more than a year later. The KSL Investigators examined the timeline of multiple investigations involving the same man.

8 hours ago

(Jeff Dahdah, KSL TV)...

Alex Cabrero

New USU police dog being trained to help students with stress

This is Sage, the newest member of the USU Police Department. Her specialty is something relatively new for police departments: helping those after a traumatic or stressful event.

9 hours ago

Mug shot from prison...

Eliza Pace and Garna Mejia, KSL TV

Lori Vallow Daybell moved from Idaho prison to Arizona prison to face other charges

Convicted killer, Lori Vallow Daybell is no longer in the Pocatello Women's Correctional Center and now sits in an Arizona Jail.

10 hours ago

(Courtesy of the Parr family)...

Shara Park

Family of Isabelle Parr celebrates her life on the anniversary of her death

A Holladay family is offering forgiveness to the driver of a hit and run accident that took the life of UVU student Isabelle Parr.

11 hours ago


Shelby Lofton and Lindsay Aerts, KSL TV

Industrial size power washing truck believed to be cause of daycare carbon monoxide leak

The carbon monoxide leak at American Preparatory Academy's daycare in Draper Wednesday afternoon made dozens sick, including several children.

11 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Stylish room interior with beautiful Christmas tree and decorative fireplace...

Lighting Design

Create a Festive Home with Our Easy-to-Follow Holiday Prep Guide

Get ready for festive celebrations! Discover expert tips to prepare your home for the holidays, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for unforgettable moments.

Battery low message on mobile device screen. Internet and technology concept...

PC Laptops

9 Tips to Get More Power Out of Your Laptop Battery

Get more power out of your laptop battery and help it last longer by implementing some of these tips from our guide.

Users display warnings about the use of artificial intelligence (AI), access to malicious software ...

Les Olson

How to Stay Safe from Cybersecurity Threats

Read our tips for reading for how to respond to rising cybersecurity threats in 2023 and beyond to keep yourself and your company safe.

Design mockup half in white and half in color of luxury house interior with open plan living room a...

Lighting Design

Lighting Design 101: Learn the Basics

These lighting design basics will help you when designing your home, so you can meet both practical and aesthetic needs.

an antler with large horns int he wilderness...

Three Bear Lodge

Yellowstone in the Fall: A Wildlife Spectacle Worth Witnessing

While most people travel to this park in the summer, late fall in Yellowstone provides a wealth of highlights to make a memorable experience.

a diverse group of students raising their hands in a classroom...

Little Orchard Preschool

6 Benefits of Preschool for Kids

Some of the benefits of preschool for kids include developing independence, curiosity, and learning more about the world.

Electric smoker suspected cause of Layton housefire