LOCAL NEWS

House fire for American Fork family for the second time

Aug 16, 2023, 8:14 PM

AMERICAN FORK, Utah — A family is unsure how to move forward after a fire destroyed a huge chunk of their property. Though the blaze wasn’t their fault, this isn’t the first time they’ve had to deal with something like this.

Tuesday morning’s fire impacted three properties, burning two buildings and heavy equipment.

One of those buildings belongs to the Dickersons.

It’s clear by looking around they’ve put a lot of time and energy into home projects. They’ve spent more than a decade making the space their own.

Blaine Dickerson pointed out brick above a historic fireplace in the living room.

“We exposed the brick,” he said. “Finished the walls, put these beams in and I like it is the first thing that you see when you walk into the house.”

In the dining room area, he explained how he used his table saws and miter saws to cut the wood that he used for the painted accent wall with a raised wood design.

“It was a fun project to do in the shop,” he explained.

Walking out the back door though, Blaine no longer has a shop to work in.

The hobby artist who spends his free time building and creating instead has to stare at a mangled building, which wreaks of smoke.

A knock on the door awoke the family at 2:30 am Tuesday and saw a guy standing outside.

“He’s yelling, ‘Fire! Fire! Fire!’ And he’s pointing,” Blaine recounted. Blaine ran outside and said his neighbor was already out back trying to put out the flames with a garden hose. But by then, a garden hose was no match for the inferno.

Video shows Blaine’s large workshop burning as cracks and pops break out from inside. American Fork Fire shared video of firefighters working to put the blaze out before it spread to Blaine’s home.

The fire, which the fire department believes started near or on the neighbor’s property, destroyed Blaine’s shop and charred some of his home’s siding. He estimates he lost somewhere around a quarter of a million dollars in machinery, equipment, and supplies.

“The shop is one thing, and it’s an emotional thing for me. That’s hard. I’m connected to the shop,” he said.

He and his wife Heidi talked about how hard it is to deal with this, especially a second time.

“It doesn’t seem real that it’s happened again,” Heidi said.

Standing in the dining room, Heidi held up an iPad with photos from when their house caught fire a decade ago.

“It [started] in the garage, and it went up through the attic,” she explained.

The couple said a hidden electrical panel from the previous owners caused the fire. They had just purchased the house and had to rebuild.

All the couple can do now is focus on the good.

“There’s been so much love and support, like, they’re reaching out to us, and everyone’s asking how they can help,” Heidi said, as tears welled in her eyes. Before knowing what help looks like, “We’ve just got to figure out what we need to do next, you know?”

The Dickersons aren’t sure whose insurance is responsible this time or what it’ll cover. Especially because this fire was not their fault and didn’t start on their property.

The American Fork Fire Department is still figuring out the cause of the fire.

In the meantime, Blaine’s shop sits in shambles. But the couple isn’t focusing as much on that.

“I’m just glad our family is safe, and the kids were safe,” Heidi said.

They’re still grateful the house is okay, even if they have to rebuild again.

“I gain an opportunity,” Blaine said, “to rise from the ashes again.”

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

Brokers look over the view as they tour the Worthington Residences in Salt Lake City on Wednesday, ...

Carter Williams, KSL.com

Salt Lake City’s newest apartment tower intentionally sticks out in the city

The tallest building east of Salt Lake City's central downtown district and the tallest rental apartment high-rise on the market right officially opened.

1 hour ago

Olympian Clayton Yong and many others took part in a 6-mile run along the Jordan River Trail in Sou...

Alex Cabrero

Elite Running Program credited for producing Utah Olympians competing in 2024 Paris Games

Olympian Clayton Young credits his success to an increased emphasis on the running culture in Utah, and a big part of that is to the Elite Run Program.

12 hours ago

Taylorsville police vehicle (KSL TV)...

Mark Jones

Man arrested for allegedly kidnapping a 13-year-old and running over her brother with a car

A 18-year-old man was taken into custody Saturday by police for an allegedly kidnapping a 13-year-old girl.

12 hours ago

...

Mark Jones

Boy, 16, suffers leg injury after being struck by a boulder near Red Ledges

A 16-year-old boy suffered a serious leg injury after being struck by a boulder on Friday at Red Ledges Picnic Area in Utah County.

14 hours ago

A former Internal Revenue Service employee who lives in Utah was charged in federal court with abus...

Cassidy Wixom, KSL.com

Utahn who worked for IRS charged in federal court with trying to steal $2M

A former Internal Revenue Service employee who lives in Utah was charged in federal court with abusing his position to attempt to steal more than $2 million in tax credits.

15 hours ago

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints provided an update on the ongoing renovation projec...

Mark Jones

Church provides update on Temple Square construction progress

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Friday provided an update on the ongoing renovation project at Temple Square.

15 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light up your home with these top lighting trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for hassle-free computer repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

House fire for American Fork family for the second time