Family hospitalized from carbon monoxide poisoning in Duchesne County
Nov 18, 2023, 6:41 PM | Updated: Nov 20, 2023, 6:34 am
DUCHESNE — The Duchesne County Sheriff’s Office says a family staying in a rental cabin at Six Lakes Lodge was hospitalized Saturday morning after becoming ill from carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to a news release from the sheriff’s office, the call came in about 2:30 a.m. The release also states that family members started reporting being ill Friday evening.
The Altamont Fire Department along with Altamont and Roosevelt ambulances responded to the scene. Once on scene, emergency personnel used a carbon monoxide detector to determine the cabin was full of carbon monoxide.
All individuals in the cabin were transported to a nearby hospital. The release did not mention how many people were in the cabin, nor their conditions.
The American Red Cross of Utah encourages residents to test and replace batteries in carbon monoxide detectors at the same time as smoke alarms.
Additionally, if residents are unable to physically install a carbon monoxide detector, they should reach out to the Red Cross for assistance.
According to a news release from the Red Cross, at least 420 individuals die each year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning and more than 100,000 people in the United States are taken to the hospital for symptoms from carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to the release, the common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are:
- Chest pain