22 people transported to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning in Sevier County

Jan 1, 2024, 5:10 PM | Updated: Jan 2, 2024, 12:18 pm

8-year-old hit and run across from Mary Jackson Elementary...

MONROE, Sevier County — Twenty-two people were transported to the hospital in Monroe for carbon monoxide poisoning on Sunday.

According to a release provided by the Sevier County Sheriff’s Office, officials responded to two medical calls at the Monroe East chapel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The first involved a 4-year-old girl who was having breathing problems, but because she had been sick earlier in the week, her symptoms were believed to be from the earlier illness.

A man was also feeling sick and thought he was having low blood sugar complications. The man sought treatment on his own.

When another family reported having headaches when they arrived home from church, the Monroe City Fire Department was called to check the building to check for carbon monoxide.

The fire department found higher levels of carbon monoxide in the church and the building was evacuated.

Later Sunday evening, several individuals reported being ill and sought treatment at Sevier Valley Hospital.

“In all, 22 individuals were needing to be transported to hospitals out of the area for carbon monoxide poisoning treatment. This required ten ambulance transports to get everyone to a hospital that had a hyperbaric chamber that could treat the patients,” the release stated.

Because Sevier County EMS did not have enough ambulances to transport the impacted people, other agencies were contacted and assisted in hospital transports.

Additionally, several individuals who were not as critical were able to transport themselves.

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

Tom Nehring practicing his punches against a punching bag with another boxer....

Emma Benson and Michael Houck, KSL TV

‘This is medicine for me’: A Utah man is battling Parkinson’s with boxing

An interactive class is helping those effected by Parkinson’s disease by keeping them active with boxing.

14 minutes ago

Any Hour experts walk KSL through common home heating and cooling mistakes to help people battle su...

Brian Carlson

Heating home mistakes, how to avoid them

Are you making your house hotter by accident? Cooling experts at Any Hour walk KSL through a home in Utah County to show what common mistakes people make and how to avoid them.

25 minutes ago

Map of power outages near West Valley City Thursday. (Rocky Mountain Power)...

Carlysle Price

Power outage in West Valley City

Rocky Mountain Power reported approximately 18,200 power outages near West Valley City Thursday afternoon.

2 hours ago

A brush fire burning near 2100 E. Pine Cone Road on June 20, 2024....

Eliza Pace and Michael Houck, KSL TV

UPATE: Eagle Mountain brush fire is contained, evacuation order is lifted

Officials say a brush fire burning close to homes in Eagle Mountain is contained and evacuation orders were lifted Thursday afternoon.

2 hours ago

The aftermath of a deadly road rage at Eagle Mountain in 2023 that killed Rodney Salm and Michaela ...

Daniel Woodruff

‘Chill out’: Utah drivers urged to avoid road rage as new law takes effect July 1

Utah officials had a clear message on the steps of the Capitol when it comes to road rage; chill out and think before you act.

2 hours ago

The scene of the drive-by shooting that hurt three men near a Murray TRAX station Thursday evening....

Pat Reavy, KSL.com

Teen faces 19 felonies in gang-related drive-by shooting death in Murray

A 17-year-old boy is facing 19 felony charges accusing him of participating in a drive-by shooting that left one dead and three others injured.

2 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light up your home with these top lighting trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for hassle-free computer repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

22 people transported to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning in Sevier County