LOCAL NEWS

Townhomes evacuated until carbon monoxide source found to be car idling in garage

Jan 10, 2024, 7:52 PM | Updated: Jan 11, 2024, 6:21 am

emergency lights...

FILE (KSL TV)

(KSL TV)

WEST HAVEN, Weber County — During some Utah winter weather Wednesday night, up to six electrically heated townhomes were evacuated after high carbon monoxide readings were found, according to the Weber Fire District.

The source of the dangerous gas turned out to be a car in a garage that was left running until it ran out of gas according to Deputy Chief David Reed. After complaints, monitors caught readings of up to 140. Readings over 100 are considered dangerous, though prolonged exposure at lower levels can also be a health risk.

Detectors sounded at the townhomes alerting people, but nobody reported symptoms of poisoning.

Video: A Sandy grocery store evacuated after carbon monoxide detected

Reed said in buildings with electric heating those readings shouldn’t have been happening, causing concern among those responding to the emergency. Eventually, it was determined they were found to be high near a garage and the owner of the unit returned home. He inadvertently left his car running until it ran out of gas.

Reed said leaving a car idling in a garage is unsafe and should not be done.

If you suspect you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, officials advise immediately leave your home or other building and call 911.

Mild symptoms include headaches, fatigue, dizziness and nausea. High levels of carbon monoxide exposure could bring convulsions, unconsciousness and can be fatal.

Utah has recorded several recent incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning including at a grocery store and a church.

Sheriff cautions about carbon monoxide after weekend scare at Sevier County church

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

FILE — Police lights. (KSL TV)...

Carlysle Price

Girl died after golf cart crash, police plead with parents

A 13-year-old girl died from injuries after she fell out of a golf cart on July 3, police plead with parents to keep kids safe.

1 hour ago

FILE: A Summit County Sheriff's Office patrol vehicle. (KSL TV)...

Carlysle Price

Man assaulted wife and fled, located in Montana

A man police said assaulted his wife and fled Monday was located in Montana Tuesday morning.

2 hours ago

As we head into a big, busy day with an Olympic announcement and hopeful celebration, marathon, and...

Karah Brackin

With a spike in deadly crashes this summer, officials urging drivers to use caution

As we head into a big, busy day with an Olympic announcement and hopeful celebration, marathon, and a holiday on top of all that, Utah officials are urging everyone to pay attention behind the wheel.

3 hours ago

A small hydrothermal explosion damaged a boardwalk near the Biscuit Basin thermal area, July 23, 20...

Carlysle Price

Hydrothermal explosion closes basin at Yellowstone National Park

Biscuit Basin in Yellowstone National Park temporarily closed, after a "small hydrothermal explosion" Monday morning.

3 hours ago

Utah Fire Info reported Tuesday afternoon that a new 
wildfire has started up on Antelope Island. (...

Shelby Lofton

New wildfire breaks out on Antelope Island

Utah Fire Info reported Tuesday afternoon that a new fire has started up on Antelope Island.

4 hours ago

A party to celebrate the start of Olympic Games took place in Riverton Monday night. (KSL TV)...

Debbie Worthen

Riverton party kicks off excitement around Olympic Games and IOC announcement

A party to celebrate the start of Olympic Games took place in Riverton Monday night.

5 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

young male technician is repairing a printer at office...

Les Olson

Unraveling the dilemma between leasing and buying office technology

Carefully weigh these pros and cons to make an informed decision that best suits your business growth and day-to-day operation. 

A kitchen in a modern farmhouse....

Lighting Design

A room-by-room lighting guide for your home

Bookmark this room-by-room lighting guide whenever you decide to upgrade your lighting or style a new home.

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Townhomes evacuated until carbon monoxide source found to be car idling in garage