Boy badly burned after adding gasoline to campfire in southern Utah
Feb 11, 2024, 3:32 PM | Updated: Feb 12, 2024, 8:58 am
(Hurricane Valley Fire Department via Facebook)
HURRICANE — Officials with Hurricane Valley Fire & Rescue say a 12-year-old was badly burned following an accident around a campfire Saturday night.
According to a Facebook post, firefighters said the boy suffered second- and third-degree burns to roughly 8% of his body, mainly on his leg and foot. The post said the boy caught on fire after “introducing gasoline to a campfire,” some of which landed on his leg and shoe.
The social media post also stated the boy caught other parts of the yard on fire before neighbors arrived and put out the fire on his leg. Firefighters reminded the public “that if you catch on fire to stop, drop, and roll.”
The boy was initially transported to the emergency room in Hurricane but was later transported to a burn unit in Las Vegas.