A bill that seeks to fund crisis receiving centers for people facing a mental health crisis passed the Utah House on Thursday. One Utah man said a solution like this could have made a difference for him when he was in crisis a couple of months ago.
Mental health continues to be a key focus on the hill this legislative session and advocates from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention met with lawmakers to urge them to prioritize suicide prevention and mental health legislation on Thursday.
Middle-aged men in Utah are most at risk for suicide, according to data from the Utah Department of Health, and one Utah family still reeling from a devastating loss knows that all too well.
Nearly 800 elementary school kids were learning how to be better friends and reach out to others at a special junior Hope Squad event held at Clearfield High School.
What she did next made all the difference. "It immediately struck me that something was off," said Kelli Snider of Paradise.
If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts or exhibiting warning signs, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Too many Utah families know the unimaginable grief of losing a loved one to suicide. Navigating that grief takes community and support.
Knowing what to do in the middle of an immediate mental health crisis can be overwhelming. Some call 9-1-1, but an underutilized service without flashing lights and sirens offers a less threatening approach for Utahns.
I saw my nephew walking down the street last week. I turned and there he was on the sidewalk. Only it wasn’t him – just a boy who looked a lot like him. It took my breath away. Not only was he not on that sidewalk, he also wasn’t at Sunday dinner this week.
A new, landmark study on mental health in Utah shows just how wide the gap is between people who need services and the help available. The need is particularly urgent for Utah teenagers.
KSL 5 TV Live
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 12173)
- Former Mission Companion Of Chad Daybell In Disbelief After Developments (pageviews: 9214)
- Police: Body Found In Pipe Near Target In Salt Lake City 'Suspicious' (pageviews: 8050)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Of Missing Children (pageviews: 7602)
- Utah Teen Shot, Left For Dead Three Years Ago Raising Money For Prosthetic Arm (pageviews: 7557)
- California Prisoner Confesses To Killing 2 Child Molesters, Says He 'Did Everybody A Favor' (pageviews: 6786)
- Mike Rowe Makes Online Plea To Help West Jordan Toymaker (pageviews: 5760)
- Dirty Dining? KSL Investigators Look Into Popular Salt Lake Restaurant Rankings (pageviews: 4830)
- Payson Hit-&-Run Driver Turns Himself In After Striking 9-Year-Old (pageviews: 4026)
- Celebrities Rally To Send Quaden Bayles To Disneyland After Bullying Video Goes Viral (pageviews: 3869)
Connect with KSL