Amid a record surge in COVID cases, demand for a far less visible illness reached a record high in 2021 in Utah, according to a new report from Huntsman Mental Health Institute.
The LGBTQ community in Utah faces a significantly higher risk of suicide and suicidal thoughts. Teens are at an even greater risk. The state's Suicide Prevention Plan is aimed at turning around the trend, and a family in North Salt Lake has made it their mission to help.
A 2021 Advisory just released by The U.S. Surgeon General called “Protecting Youth Mental Health” painted a sobering picture of the mental health of America’s youth.
Britain Covey, wide receiver for the University of Utah's football program, announced his support for an equestrian and life skills training program for women after he lost two young cousins to suicide.
An independent investigation will be done into how the Davis School District handles reports of bullying. It comes after the death of Isabella "Izzy" Faith Tichenor, a 10-year-old girl who took her own life after her family says she was bullied at school.
About 200 students traveled to Provo Thursday for training on how to help prevent suicide at their schools through a Hope Squad.
Mental health continues to be a growing concern among first responders. In the past two years, the number of Unified Fire Authority firefighters seeking mental health support has doubled. KSL's Alex Cabrero spoke with some firefighters about that.
The owners of one Cache Valley business are reaching out to help people in crisis by giving them a safe place to keep their guns.
Utah’s suicide rate has remained about the same for the last five years. Advocates say that’s a good thing. Heather Simonsen digs into the state’s next steps to save more lives.
The SafeUT smartphone app and mental health system immediately started helping children in crisis when it launched five years ago. Today, it continues to support teens and young adults, mentally and emotionally, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
KSL 5 TV Live
- Brian Laundrie wrote he was responsible for Gabby Petito's death in notebook, FBI says (pageviews: 17109)
- Police provide update in deadly shooting near Hunter High School (pageviews: 10748)
- Overdue skier found dead in Little Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 7019)
- Once virtually extinct condor species spotted by hiker on Zion's Angels Landing hiking trail (pageviews: 6233)
- NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn't happen this week (pageviews: 6047)
- State prosecutors want teen accused in shooting near Hunter High to be tried as adult (pageviews: 5251)
- One killed in head-on Bangerter Highway crash near SR 201 (pageviews: 3906)
- Instagram - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3882)
- Florida man charged after 4 found dead at Canada-US border (pageviews: 3626)
Connect with KSL