As Memorial Day quickly approaches, the Utah Department of Transportation urged drivers to plan ahead to avoid construction projects and to be patient while traveling.
It's only takes dozing off for five to ten seconds behind the wheel before something terrible can happen. This is an especially important message before the summer road trip season, but tragic events can also happen on short drives close to home. One Utah teen is sharing his story.
Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data shows about 28 people in the United States die in drunk-driving crashes each day - that's one person every 52 minutes.
More motorcyclists are hitting Utah roads as temperatures start to rise, and officials with the Utah Department of Transportation and Utah Department of Public Safety are reminding all drivers to be cautious.
More than 2 million licensed drivers crisscross Utah every day while commuting or traveling up and down the Wasatch Front, and thousands of those drivers are involved in crashes related to distracted driving every year.
Utah Highway Patrol and 20 other agencies conducted a special distracted driving enforcement effort state-wide this weekend looking for those whose eyes were not on the road. UHP alone pulled over 2,449 drivers, 68 of them were distracted, 13 were driving under the influence, and 69 were engaging in reckless behavior.
On the road to zero fatalities, Utah has hit a bump. The first three months of 2021 have seen more crashes and deaths involving pedestrians than the first three months of the last nine years.
The Utah Highway Patrol beefed up its schedule to put more troopers on the road for this Easter Weekend's increase in traffic.
Despite a robust campaign from the Utah Department of Transportation and KSL, The Road to Zero fatalities has proven to be bumpy as the state has already seen fatal crashes up in 2021 compared to last year.
On the road to zero fatalities, Utah Highway Patrol officials reminded drivers that troopers are on the hunt for impaired drivers leading up to St. Patrick's Day.
KSL 5 TV Live
- Live (pageviews: 9847)
- Missionaries From Utah, Montana Killed In New Mexico Car Crash (pageviews: 8506)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake (pageviews: 6429)
- Utah Woman Shares Experience As 'Breakthrough' COVID-19 Case After Getting J&J Vaccine (pageviews: 5395)
- Utah Woman Shares Experience As ‘Breakthrough’ COVID-19 Case After Getting J&J Vaccine – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2133)
- Salt Lake Co. DA Rules Officer Justified In Fatal Shooting Of Handcuffed Man In West Valley (pageviews: 2063)
- Cancer Misinformation On The Rise On Social Media, Huntsman Cancer Institute Study Says (pageviews: 1955)
- Family Calls District Attorney's Ruling 'Systemic Failure' (pageviews: 1863)
- Days Of ’47 Parade: Road Closures, Times & How To Watch – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 1525)
Connect with KSL