Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall and SLC police chief Mike Brown unveiled seven new policy changes regarding the department's use of force, body-worn cameras and searches and seizures.
With a pandemic unlike any the world had seen in the past 100 years, the strongest earthquake to strike the city in six decades and well over a month of protests calling for social justice and reform, 2020 had not been an easy year for any first responder or law enforcement officer.
Lawmakers said change is coming when it comes to the legal use of deadly force by Utah police officers.
Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill just released his recommendations for police reform, a conversation that's sparked dozens of protests over the past few months, some of which turned violent.
Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall has called for changes to city policies and Utah’s laws that dictate when officers are allowed to use lethal force.
Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill responded to the protest outside his office Friday, calling the vandalism to the building “an assault on every one of us.”
Gov. Gary Herbert declared a state of emergency following a protest in downtown Salt Lake City after sidewalks were covered with paint and windows smashed at the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s office.
Attorneys for Bernardo Palacios-Carbajal's family criticized Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill's decision that officers were justified in using deadly force when they shot and killed Palacios-Carbajal in May.
Salt Lake City police have closed 500 South between State Street and Main Street due to protests at the office of the Salt Lake County District Attorney.
Detectives with the West Jordan Police Department are investigating after a South Jordan police officer’s car was vandalized sometime on the Fourth of July.
KSL 5 TV Live
- Instagram account of missing woman returns after being deactivated (pageviews: 45491)
- Moab police release details on incident between missing 22-year-old & boyfriend (pageviews: 34639)
- Moab Police responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend (pageviews: 21205)
- Authorities searching for missing 22-year-old woman last seen in SLC – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13494)
- Moab police say they responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12568)
- One killed, another injured after industrial incident at University Hospital (pageviews: 12003)
- Boyfriend of missing 22-year-old woman named person of interest (pageviews: 10881)
- Moab police say they responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend (pageviews: 10278)
- Surgeries halted as Utah kidney patient waits for transplant (pageviews: 9533)
Connect with KSL