When Utah celebrated the 150th anniversary of the driving of the golden spike, the cheering section was pretty much statewide. But in a tiny Colorado town, some people think the whole thing in Utah is a historical fraud.
A large influx of visitors into Northern Utah is expected to translate into millions of dollars being spent, especially in Box Elder, and Weber Counties.
As the transcontinental railroad was nearing completion, fortunately the Union Pacific and Central Pacific Railroads made sure the event was documented. They hired 3 photographers to preserve that great day in 1869.
As Utah and the nation celebrate the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad, Native Americans hope we also remember and honor an often forgotten legacy of progress.
Visitors traveled from as far as China and dressed in old-fashioned dresses, top hats and bonnets for the celebration featuring music, a flyover, the firing of cannons and ringing of bells at the Golden Spike National Historic Park.
Presidential Message Released On The 150th Anniversary Of The Completion Of The Transcontinental RailroadThe White House released a presidential message about the 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad.
The May 10, 1869, completion of the Transcontinental Railroad was a pivotal moment in the United States, ushering in a period of progress and expansion nationwide.
As Utah, and guests from around the world, celebrate the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad, 15,000 people are expected to gather Friday at the remote spot in the Utah desert where the final spikes were hammered into the ground 150 years ago.
Some 15,000 people are expected to gather Friday at the remote spot in the Utah desert where the final spikes were hammered into the ground 150 years ago.
This year, the annual Heritage Festival will be a special anniversary edition, celebrating the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad 150 years ago.
KSL 5 TV Live
- Utah Renews Public Health Order, Sets Goal For Removing Mask Mandate – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 11682)
- Salt Lake Co. Health Department Investigating High School Party (pageviews: 7640)
- Police: Kearns Woman Murdered Because 'She Knew Too Much' (pageviews: 7315)
- Police: Provo Man Stabbed Child, Thinking Someone Else Was In Bed With His Wife (pageviews: 5601)
- Utah Renews Public Health Order, Sets Goal For Removing Mask Mandate (pageviews: 5443)
- Parents Call For Action After Librarian Seen Reading Racial Slur To Students (pageviews: 5003)
- State Prepares To Offer Vaccine To Utahns 18+ With Medical Conditions (pageviews: 3168)
- Some Residents Object To Sign At Millcreek Business That Uses Flag To Cover Explicit Word (pageviews: 2284)
- Ogden Partners With Company That Helps Essential Workers Purchase Homes (pageviews: 2224)
Connect with KSL