Officials with the Unified Fire Authority warned people planning to shoot off fireworks this holiday weekend to be cautious and aware that heat, wind and dry conditions will create a dangerous mix for wildfires.
The Knolls Fire in Saratoga Springs ripped through Lake Mountain last weekend, damaging several homes and destroying one.
Firefighters in Utah have already responded to more preventable, human-caused fires this early in the season than ever before. Fire managers are urging everyone to be cautious with fire because fire danger is peaking again just in time for the holiday weekend.
On Wednesday morning, all but one of Utah's wildfires were at least 50% contained, according to the latest reports from Utah Fire Info.
Multiple fires are currently burning across the state.
Some residents said they spent hours in a smoky traffic jam trying to evacuate from the Knolls Fire on Sunday.
Neighbors in one Saratoga Springs neighborhood were praising one man for helping to save several homes during the Knolls Fire on Sunday.
Fire officials said there were 37 new wildfires over the weekend in Utah. More than 20 of them were human-caused and, like the Traverse Fire, some were started by fireworks.
The American Red Cross is facing additional challenges and extra costs for evacuation centers after the Knolls Fire due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
After any disaster, the big questions on many people’s minds are who pays to rebuild, and what exactly is covered by insurance?
KSL 5 TV Live
- Police Say Man Shot While Driving Through Group Of Protesters In Provo (pageviews: 59190)
- Two Arrested In Connection With Provo Protest Shooting (pageviews: 18191)
- Man Accused Of Shooting Driver During Provo Protests Arrested (pageviews: 11855)
- Police Investigating Reports Of Shots Fired At Protest In Provo (pageviews: 8513)
- Driver Stuck In Middle Of SLC Protest Says She Feared For Her Life (pageviews: 7265)
- Pediatrics Group Says Benefits Of In-Person School Outweigh Virus Risks (pageviews: 4891)
- Woman Gored By Bison In Yellowstone National Park (pageviews: 4663)
- Life Flight Paramedic Injured In Plane Crash Dies (pageviews: 4594)
- Knolls Fire At 10,000 Acres, 25% Contained; Other Fires Burning Across Utah (pageviews: 4057)
Connect with KSL