Alex Cabrero has been reporting for KSL since 2004. During his time in Salt Lake City, he has covered several high-profile Utah stories, including the Crandall Canyon mine collapse, the Trolley Square shootings, and the Susan Powell missing person case.
He has also covered national and international stories for KSL with Utah connections, such as Hurricane Katrina from the Gulf Coast, the devastating California wildfires, and the earthquake disasters in both Haiti and Nepal.
Alex has traveled to Beijing for coverage of the 2008 Olympics, London for the 2012 Olympics, Sochi for the 2014 Olympics, Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Olympics, and PyeongChang, South Korea, for the 2018 Olympics.
Alex is a 7-time Emmy Award winner, including a National Emmy for his reporting during a standoff in Tennessee. He also won an Emmy in 2016 for being named the best local TV news reporter in the Rocky Mountain Region. In all, Alex has won more than 50 awards from the Society of Professional Journalists and the Utah Broadcasters Association.
Before coming to Utah, Alex covered the September 11th terrorist attacks, training for the first wave of soldiers from the 101st Airborne who would be sent to Afghanistan, and Country Music star Johnny Cash’s funeral.
Prior to KSL, Alex reported for WTVF in Nashville, TN; WRCB in Chattanooga, TN; KPVI in Pocatello/Idaho Falls, Idaho; News 55 in Twin Falls, Idaho; and Cable 6 TV in Middletown, New York.
Alex is from Rock Hill, New York. He graduated with an Associate’s Degree in Communications from Orange County (NY) Community College and earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Broadcast Production from the State University of New York at New Paltz.
Alex is an Eagle Scout, played college baseball, and was a volunteer firefighter/rescue SCUBA diver for the Rock Hill Fire Department
He enjoys visiting National and State Parks, exploring the remote areas of Utah, and playing baseball for the Utah Rockies in the Utah Mens Adult Baseball League.
Facebook: Alex Cabrero
- Gephardt: Tracking Down $130K That Vanished After Bank Closes Woman’s Savings Account (pageviews: 14493)
- New Utah Law Keeps Convicted Murderer From Parole Unless Body Found (pageviews: 4930)
- Community Rallies To Support Young Street Corner Entrepreneur (pageviews: 4702)
- KSL Investigates Bill Aimed To Combat Utah Housing Boom, Affordability (pageviews: 4120)
- Utah DWR Looking For Driver Who Allegedly Sped Up To Hit, Kill Deer (pageviews: 2915)
- 22 More COVID Deaths Reported In Utah; Over 700K Vaccines Administered (pageviews: 2449)
- Utahn Who Has Had Three Heart Transplants Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 2260)
- Utah Nurse Who Battled COVID-19 Released From Hospital After Double-Lung Transplant (pageviews: 1949)
- Police: Provo Man Stabbed Child, Thinking Someone Else Was In Bed With His Wife (pageviews: 1856)