Dan Guthrie is the KSL 5 meteorologist for the afternoon and evening newscasts on weekends, but is regularly seen filling in on KSLAM as well as KSL News at 5, 6, 6:30, and 10 on weeknights.
Dan attended Valparaiso University where he received a degree in meteorology, while also majoring in Communications, specifically TV/Radio. Dan is a member of the American Meteorological Society and has been awarded with the Certified Broadcast Meteorologist Seal, the highest honor a meteorologist can attain in the industry. Prior to arriving at KSL in 2013, Dan’s career in broadcasting started in 2010, where he worked not only as a meteorologist, but also a multimedia journalist at WIFR in Rockford, IL. In 2012, Dan ventured across the Illinois border to work as a meteorologist for WMTV in Madison, WI. The hardest part of his gig in Madison was enthusiastically reading Green Bay Packers highlights during the morning show as a diehard Chicago Bears fan. Don’t worry Packers fans, you would have never known the difference in his sports team loyalty.
When Dan is not on air he can be found in one of the hundreds of elementary schools across Utah educating fourth graders on Utah’s weather as part of KSL’s Junior Weather Specialist Program. Dan takes a strong stance on the importance of education and visits as many schools as his schedule can allow, which is usually just under 100 per school year. If you would like Dan to come speak with your 4th grader, encourage their teacher to contact him at email@example.com, or fill out the submission form for the JWS program on the KSL Weather page. Dan also love giving back to the community and can be found taking part in a variety of charity events.
Outside of work, Dan is likely traveling, reading, exercising, playing golf, exploring Utah’s mountains, at the movie theater catching the latest new releases, or watching sports. Growing up outside of Chicago, Illinois has made him a diehard Bears, Blackhawks, Cubs, and Notre Dame football fan. Dan also grew up with the acting bug. In high school he was in the musical productions of The Sound of Music and Bye Bye Birdie, as well as a number of other productions. He has recently acted in a large production filmed here in Utah, but can’t say much about it until it is released. One little known fact about Dan is that he has a professionally trained singing voice (because he once dreamed of being on Broadway) but lately reserves his talent for the shower.
Facebook: Dan Guthrie KSL 5.
- Earthquake Tracker - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 22213)
- Father Says 'Stay Home' After 24-Year-Old Daughter Dies From COVID-19 (pageviews: 10614)
- Magnitude 6.5 Earthquake Reported Near Boise; 4.6 Aftershock Felt (pageviews: 8727)
- Gephardt: Getting Your Coronavirus Stimulus Check & What It Means For Your Taxes (pageviews: 8284)
- Health Officials Announce 5th Death Related To COVID-19 In Utah (pageviews: 6768)
- One Killed, Two Injured In Head-On Crash Near Fillmore (pageviews: 5489)
- Amazon Fires Warehouse Worker Who Led Staten Island Warehouse Walkout (pageviews: 4909)
- Harmons Giving Away More Than 3K Digital Thermometers (pageviews: 4450)
- Magnitude 6.5 Earthquake Reported Near Boise (pageviews: 3736)