John Hollenhorst is a Senior Correspondent for KSL Television.
He was born and raised in Rochester, Minnesota. Mr. Hollenhorst began a life-long love affair with the Intermountain West in 1969 when, following a tour of duty in Vietnam, he was sent to Dugway Proving Ground by the U.S. Army.
After he left the Army, he returned to his native state of Minnesota. He graduated with a B.A. in journalism from the University of Minnesota and began his reporting career as a print journalist in Minneapolis.
In 1975, following his heart instead of a sensible career path, he moved back to Salt Lake City. After driving a Yellow Cab for nearly a year, he began his broadcasting career by taking a job answering telephones at KSL in 1976. Within a few months, he evolved into a television reporter and was given the assignment of Courts Specialist for KSL.
He left Salt Lake City in 1980 and worked for two years as a general assignment reporter for WFAA-TV in Dallas. From late 1981 to 1986 he covered the nation’s capitol as Assistant Bureau Chief for Bonneville International Corporation. He returned to KSL in Salt Lake City in 1986.
Mr. Hollenhorst was selected to be a William Benton Fellow in Broadcast Journalism for the school year of 1990-91. During his fellowship year at the University of Chicago, his studies emphasized science and history.
He has won numerous awards over the years, including The National Headliners Award. The Society of Professional Journalists named him Utah’s “Best TV Reporter” three years in a row.
John’s passions include history, science, Southeastern Utah scenery and jazz music. His favorite pastimes are reading, hiking and spending time with his family.
John Hollenhorst and Swantje Johnson Hollenhorst live in Salt Lake City with their daughters, Annie & Maria.
Facebook: John Hollenhorst
- A total lunar eclipse will turn the moon red. Here's how to watch (pageviews: 5221)
- Some high school seniors in Utah concerned about graduation attire – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5184)
- Fatal crash on I15 in Farmington, police investigating (pageviews: 3101)
- Police arrest man accused off fatally hitting a woman, dragging body (pageviews: 2965)
- Woman dies in rollover crash on I-215 (pageviews: 2647)
- Some high school seniors in Utah concerned about graduation attire (pageviews: 2373)