Andy Farnsworth joined KSL’s airwaves from an airplane 2003. For almost a decade Andy was the state of Utah’s only airborne traffic reporter and was KSL NewsRadio’s “Eye in the Sky” before landing in the KSL Traffic Center. He is currently the lead traffic anchor for “Utah’s Morning News with Grant & Amanda” from 6-9 AM. He also covers traffic for BYU football home games, and occasionally reports for TV and radio and fills in as co-host on “The Nightside Project” and “The Browsers” on KSL Radio. You can also watch him every morning, bright and early, reporting on traffic for KSL-5 News Today between 5-7AM.
Andy has been involved with traffic reporting in one form or another since 1998 when he started his radio career with Metro Networks as an intern who handed out traffic updates to on-air talent during morning drive time. After that, he got a shot producing the traffic updates, spent some time writing and producing news and sports copy for radio, then became the airborne traffic reporter for three stations in 2000 because he says he was “literally the only person there at the time who didn’t get airsick in the plane.” He spent nearly 10,000 hours in that little Cessna 172 and was in the traffic plane during the 9/11 attacks, the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics and almost all of the I-15 reconstruction projects. One time he & his pilot made an unscheduled landing at Camp Williams just before the Olympics and had Homeland Security agents show up with guns drawn to find out why.
Andy has Associate’s degree from Salt Lake Community College and a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Utah (despite being a lifelong BYU fan). He says he went to the U of U because “it was the university closest to the airport,” but also admits he had a great experience there. He also speaks Portuguese, a language he learned serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Salvador, Brazil.
Andy is a Utah native, born in Provo and raised in West Jordan where he now resides with his amazing wife Lori and their six children. He loves reading and things that make him laugh. He is an admitted geek, with a particular fondness for Star Wars and comic books and has a surprisingly large amount of useless sports and pop culture trivia stored in his head.
Something you probably didn’t know about him: Andy was named “BYU SuperFan of the Week” by KSL Radio way back in 1989 after he wore a different BYU shirt to school every day for three straight weeks. He still has the certificate AND the commemorative mug.
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Showing Child Behaving Erratically Before Disappearance (pageviews: 16902)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Of Missing Children (pageviews: 10948)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Showing Child Behaving Erratically Before Disappearance (pageviews: 6159)
- Five Utah Police Agencies Looking For Purse Snatchers (pageviews: 3234)
- Civil Filing Alleges Lori Vallow's Niece Knows Where Missing Children Are (pageviews: 3143)
- Local Body Shop Creates One-Of-A-Kind Casket For Police Dog Hondo (pageviews: 2873)
- Utah Couple's Dream Italian Vacation Canceled After Coronavirus Cases Spike (pageviews: 2719)
- 5-Year-Old Killed In Millcreek Auto-Pedestrian Crash (pageviews: 2663)
- 5-Year-Old Boy Killed In Millcreek Auto-Pedestrian Crash (pageviews: 2527)