Butterball Recalls Ground Turkey After 4 Salmonella Cases
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Butterball LLC issued a voluntarily recall of more than 78,000 pounds (35,400 kilograms) of raw ground turkey products nationwide Thursday as Wisconsin health officials investigate four salmonella cases in the state.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said the prepackaged ground turkey was produced on July 7, 2018, and the agency is worried some consumers may still have them in their freezers.
“Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them,” the agency said in a statement. “These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.”
The products had a sell- or freeze-by date of July 26, 2018.
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services said the four patients have the same strain of salmonella and are linked to the Butterball ground turkey products being recalled. A Minnesota resident who reported eating ground turkey has the same strain of salmonella as the Wisconsin cases, but the brand of the product consumed is unknown, health officials said.
Butterball is based in Mount Olive, North Carolina.
The Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection and local health departments are aiding in the investigation by state health officials. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is also investigating.
The products being recalled have establishment number “EST. P-7345” in the USDA mark of inspection. The products were shipped to retail locations nationally.
Salmonella can cause salmonellosis, a bacterial foodborne illness with symptoms including fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps.
- Antibody Testing Shows Many Utahns Had COVID-19 But Did Not Know It (pageviews: 29330)
- Airbnb Rental Leads To Accidental Quarantine Family (pageviews: 10903)
- Thousands Of Boats Inspected For Invasive Mussels Over Holiday Weekend (pageviews: 7691)
- Four Minneapolis Officers Fired After Death Of Black Man (pageviews: 6103)
- 3 People Injured In Dramatic Crash On Bonneville Salt Flats, Witness Says (pageviews: 5978)
- White Woman Apologizes After Calling Police On Black Man Saying He Was Threatening Her Life (pageviews: 5683)
- Lawmakers Want VA To Remove Swastika From Gravestone At Utah Cemetery (pageviews: 4723)
- Are You Graduating This Year? Pizza Hut Wants To Give You A Free Pizza (pageviews: 3948)
- Woman Talks About Close Encounter With Tinder Murder Suspect (pageviews: 3685)