Just 1 Of The 3 Living Pearl Harbor Survivors Was Able To Attend Ceremony Marking 78th Anniversary
(CNN) — Saturday marks the 78th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack, and one of the three remaining survivors of the USS Arizona attended the annual ceremony in Hawaii.
Lou Conter, 98, arrived this week after missing last year’s celebration, the first time no survivors attended.
“I always come out to pay respect for the 2,403 men that were killed that day, including 1,177 of my shipmates on the Arizona,” he said, CNN affiliate KHNL reported.
The Japanese attack on the US on December 7, 1941, drew the country into World War II and changed global history.
The other two remaining from the Arizona are unable to travel to Hawaii, KHNL said. Donald Stratton is 97 and Ken Potts is also nearing 100.
The commemoration started Saturday at 7:50 a.m. local time on the Ceremonial Lawn at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center. A moment of silence was observed at 7:55, the exact time the attack began.
The ceremony also featured music by Navy’s Pacific Fleet Band, a Hawaiian blessing, wreath presentations, a rifle salute by the Marine Corps, and a vintage aircraft flyover. Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt gave a keynote address.
- Man Dies After Being Ejected From Truck During Rollover Crash In Bluffdale (pageviews: 5048)
- Convicted Kearns Sex Offender Charged With Human Trafficking (pageviews: 5047)
- CDC: Schools Should Have Plan For Angry Parents, Face Mask Bullying (pageviews: 4785)
- Gephardt: 'Brushing' Scams Sweeping Utah (pageviews: 4552)
- AMC Is Reopening Its Theaters Next Week - And Tickets Are 15 Cents (pageviews: 4266)
- Alpine School District Teachers Rally For Safety Days Before Start Of School Year (pageviews: 4175)
- Authorities Identify Woman Found Deceased In Submerged Car Near Logan (pageviews: 3456)
- Gephardt: How A Side Hustle Became A Full-time Gig For Utah Adventurers (pageviews: 3228)
- Herriman To Host Nation's First High School Football Game (pageviews: 2539)