Peaceful Protest ‘Negotiator’ Accused Of Burning SLC Police Car
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A tense standoff Monday night ended peacefully after a protester negotiated with police officers in riot gear.
KSL TV carried the event live as it unfolded, which showed a man with a bullhorn asking for permission to go home and telling about 200 protesters, “We are going to do this the right way.”
The group, which had been marching for about 90 minutes past an 8 p.m. citywide curfew, was safely allowed to disperse.
KSL TV caught up with the man minutes later and he said his name is Latroi Newbins.
Protesters gather in downtown Salt Lake City for peaceful demonstration; March to State Capitol & around city.
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Monday, June 1, 2020
Latroi Newsbins is now also the name appearing on federal documents asking a judge to issue an arrest warrant for arson.
Federal prosecutors believe Newbins was among those who flipped and burned a Salt Lake City police cruiser during Saturday’s protest in downtown SLC.
Police have been hunting for those responsible ever since the incident putting out flyers asking for tips from the public.
LIVE: Chopper 5 above protesters in SLC. A SLC PD vehicle has been set on fire.
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Saturday, May 30, 2020
They identified Newbins and he was arrested Wednesday.
Now, the man many have credited with helping de-escalate the end of Monday’s five-mile-long walk of civil disobedience is resting behind bars for his alleged actions 48 hours earlier.
If convicted, Newbins faces up to 20 years in federal prison with a mandatory minimum of five years.
A weeklong curfew was put in place after Saturday’s violent protest. After the peaceful end of Monday’s protest, as well as the peaceful end of a protest Tuesday night, Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall lifted the curfew Wednesday.
LIVE: SLCPD, US Attorney announce arrest in burning of police vehicle during Saturday's protest
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Wednesday, June 3, 2020
- Man Hides 10 Treasure Chests In Utah Outdoors – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10223)
- Man Hides 10 Treasure Chests In Utah Outdoors (pageviews: 8913)
- Body Found In American Fork Canyon; Deputies Believe It May Be That Of Missing Utah Co. Man (pageviews: 4176)
- Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over ‘Black Widow’ Release (pageviews: 3530)
- Holladay Family Receives Letter, Harassing Them For Supporting BLM (pageviews: 1829)
- CDC Team: 'War Has Changed' As Delta Variant Dangers Emerge (pageviews: 1517)
- Morgan Community Supports Grieving Family After Sudden Loss of Teen Son (pageviews: 1454)
- UHP Trooper Gives First-Hand Account Of Deadly Dust Storm In Kanosh (pageviews: 1454)
- Morgan Community Supports Grieving Family After Sudden Loss of Teen Son – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 1361)