Utah Mother Fighting Cancer, New COVID-19 Diagnosis
PROVO, Utah – It has been a tough year for many of us, but for Tia Stokes, it’s been especially tough as the inspirational Utah mother fights cancer and takes on a new opponent in COVID-19.
Of all the lessons football players can learn from the gridiron, teamwork just might be at the top.
Especially for Timpview High School, where the players are learning what fighting and caring for each other is truly about.
It’s part of the reason why they wore “#TiasTribe” on their jerseys during a recent game.
— KSL 5 TV (@KSL5TV) September 20, 2020
“You can feel the love. You can feel the support, and it just makes you want to keep on fighting,” she said.
Stokes is back in the hospital. Not because her cancer got worse, but because she recently tested positive for COVID-19.
“I’ve just been trying to rest… a lot. I’ve been getting lots of platelets and blood transfusions while I’m at the hospital because my numbers are really low right now,” said Stokes. “I have no immune system, which makes it even scarier for COVID because I don’t really have anything to fight it off right now.”
Ever since the mother of five was diagnosed with leukemia earlier this year, she has shared her story on her social media pages. More than a million people are following her inspirational battle.
“I do it to document my journey, but I also do it because I know there are other people going through hard times,” she said. “Especially right now in our world.”
For Stokes, though, things just got harder because of her coronavirus test.
“I do my best to stay positive and I am a really positive person. I was raised that way, but it’s still hard,” said Stokes.
Follow Tia Stokes’ journey on her social media pages:
She also just found out her brother was a perfect match for bone marrow transplant to help her cancer battle.
Coronavirus is now getting her immediate attention.
“I believe in miracles, so I know that anything can happen,” she said. “We ask for prayers for our family.”
It’s just the latest opponent she has no doubt she will beat.
A family friend has set up a GoFundMe page to help with medical costs.
*KSL-TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Amazon Driver Accused Of Throwing, Damaging Layton Man's Flags (pageviews: 9790)
- 'He Was So Caring': Family Remembers Teen Killed In Spanish Fork Crash (pageviews: 7246)
- Several Park Goers Concerned About Capacity At Lagoon (pageviews: 6967)
- Man Arrested For DUI After Fatal Spanish Fork Crash (pageviews: 6784)
- Surveillance Photos Show Missing Teen With Man, Woman (pageviews: 6331)
- University Of Utah Doctors, Nurses Plead For Help As ICU Hits 99% Capacity (pageviews: 5538)
- Parent Calls SLC School Board Emails 'Unprofessional' & 'Unethical' (pageviews: 4778)
- Idaho Police Seeking Public's Help In Locating Missing Park City Hiker (pageviews: 2972)
- COVID-19 Impacting Snow Removal In Woodland Hills (pageviews: 2872)