Oreo is celebrating its 110th birthday with a first-ever flavor
(CNN) — Oreo is trying something totally new for its 110th birthday.
For the celebratory occasion, Oreo is releasing a special flavor it calls Chocolate Confetti Cake. It has sprinkles galore. The cookies themselves are filled with sprinkles and have two layers of filling: the signature creme flavor, pumped with sprinkles, and a chocolate-cake flavored creme.
Oreo said that it’s the first-time it has used sprinkles both in and on the cookie. Retailers will start selling the celebratory treats January 31 for a limited time.
Oreo will mark its birthday on March 6. The popular snack was first sold on that date in 1912 by the National Biscuit Company to a grocery store in Hoboken, New Jersey.
Since then, Oreo has regularly released special varieties to keep the product fresh, including a Lady Gaga flavor and, most recently, toffee crunch and an ultimate chocolate-flavored creme cookie.
Owned by Mondelez, Oreo continues to be a money maker. The latest limited-edition flavor is part of the company’s goal to increase sales by $1 billion in the next year. In its November 2021 earnings call, Mondelez said that Oreo “continues to be a standout performer” and that its Pokémon Oreo was the company’s fastest-selling flavor in the United States.
The company also said that it’s increasing prices of Oreos and its other brands, such as Chips Ahoy, by 6% to 7% beginning this month.
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
- US coach makes dramatic rescue of artistic swimmer at worlds (pageviews: 12230)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 7508)
- Utah woman killed, one person injured in Nevada crash (pageviews: 5653)
- Teen trying to save another swimmer drowns in Deer Creek (pageviews: 5638)
- Utah couple gets hit with sky-high surprise air ambulance bill – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4110)
- 5 planets take center stage as they align in the night sky (pageviews: 3222)