US ambassador to Russia leaves Moscow, will retire
(CNN) — John Sullivan, the United States’ ambassador to Russia, has left his post and will retire, the US Embassy announced Sunday.
Sullivan departs amid a period of heightened tensions between the US and Russia not seen in decades. He leaves after nearly three years as ambassador in Moscow, where he oversaw the embassy as it faced increasing restrictions imposed by the Russian government.
“U.S. Ambassador to the Russian Federation John J. Sullivan has concluded his tenure as U.S. envoy and departed Moscow today,” the US Embassy in Russia said in a press statement Sunday.
“Ambassador Sullivan was appointed in December 2019 and has served as Ambassador for almost three years,” the statement read. “Following his departure, he will retire from a career in public service that has spanned four decades and five U.S. presidents, including service as the Deputy Secretary of State and in senior positions at the Departments of Justice, Defense, and Commerce.”
John Sullivan, the US ambassador to Russia, is leaving his post, after nearly 3 years (during the most tumultuous period in US-Russian relations in decades). pic.twitter.com/etT14AkNiu
— Mike Eckel (@Mike_Eckel) September 4, 2022
The embassy added that Elizabeth Rood will take over as chargé d’affaires until a successor takes over.
A State Department spokesperson told CNN that Sullivan’s departure “is planned and part of a normal diplomatic rotation,” noting that the ambassador has served a “full tenure” as the top US diplomat in Moscow while managing “one of the most critical bilateral relationships in the world during unprecedented times.”
“We intend to announce our next Ambassador soon,” the spokesperson added.
This story and headline have been updated.
The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9148)
- 18 new temples announced during October 2022 General Conference (pageviews: 5383)
- Weather officials warn of hazardous storm with hail, lighting, and 60mph winds in southern and eastern Utah (pageviews: 3392)
- 'He seemed prepared for battle:' Neighbors terrified after encounter with armed stranger (pageviews: 2595)
- Live (pageviews: 2201)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 2139)