Lauren Holbrook, who has had three heart transplants, is among the two million people who were given a third shot of the COVID-19 vaccine after the United States authorized them in August for people with compromised immune systems.
After more than two months in the hospital, battling COVID-19, Russell Greene arrived home Tuesday morning to an official police escort and cheering family and friends.
A new study shows promise for those getting vaccinated when it comes to long-term side effects from COVID-19.
Dr. Eddie Stenehjem, an infectious diseases doctor at Intermountain Healthcare, said the data shows the rise in COVID-19 cases is being driven by children. He recommended a return to the pandemic basics to stop the surge.
For the first time during the pandemic, Gov. Spencer Cox said there were zero ICU beds available in the state. Intermountain Healthcare officials added their voices to the warning, saying a staffing shortage is affecting the number of available ICU beds.
Anticipating the current COVID-19 trend and pending guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on booster shots will bring a spike in vaccine demand in the coming weeks, Davis County Health officials said they're working to reopen a mass vaccination site.
Seating charts and contact tracing are among the tools being used as classes start up on Monday at Utah State and Weber State. Both schools are approaching the it by, ideally, keeping a close eye on COVID-19 cases in each class. They also have vaccinations and case containment teams to help minimize the impact.
Efforts to offer easy access to the COVID-19 vaccine remain a top priority for local medical professionals as the Delta variant, combined with the return to class for universities and the anticipation of a more aggressive flu season, are quickly approaching across the state.
While healthcare professionals continue to urge the unvaccinated to get their COVID-19 shot, Utah has seen a modest uptick in vaccinations during the past month.
Doctors at Intermountain Healthcare and University of Utah Health said they hope the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's full approval of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine Monday will lead to a surge in vaccinations in our community.
KSL 5 TV Live
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito’s van in Grand Teton National Park – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 43001)
- Draper family: Airbnb no help after someone lists their home as a rental & guests started showing up – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 36575)
- Human remains discovered 'consistent' with description of Gabby Petito (pageviews: 22899)
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 14027)
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito's van in Grand Teton National Park (pageviews: 13726)
- Private investigator surprised search warrant hasn’t been served at house of Gabby Petito’s boyfriend – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10602)
- Boyfriend of missing 22-year-old woman declared missing (pageviews: 10313)
- Search for key that will open mystery door at Utah State University (pageviews: 10220)
- Possible evidence found in search for Gabby Petito (pageviews: 10037)
Connect with KSL