Orem police offer concealed carry permit course to teachers
OREM – In light of the Parkland, Florida school shooting, Orem police offered Alpine School District teachers an opportunity: complete a training course and receive a concealed carry permit. Nearly 25 educators from the district attended the free class at the Orem Senior Citizen Center Saturday morning.
Orem Police Det. Jared Goulding led the class.
“If teachers are willing to arm themselves to protect themselves against a potential threat and willing to get that education and that training, then we are more than happy to help,” Det. Goulding said.
Det. Goulding focused on gun safety and firearms laws, arming educators with the minimum training requirement for a concealed firearms permit. It is something the department has seen more interest in.
“In light of recent events, more teachers are probably seeing a need or a want to be able to protect themselves and their children,” Det. Goulding said.
Teachers who attended said they first wanted to arm themselves with education.
“We are a gun-carrying state and it is important for us to know what we should do in different situations,” Merinda Davis said.
Under state law, Alpine School District allows teachers to carry a firearm as long as they have a permit and the firearm is concealed at all times. Educator Toby Ryan is considering the option after he completed the course.
“It’s important to be able to protect; with all the things going on in schools and shootings and things and to be able to have that,” Ryan said. “I have no intentions of carrying immediately but to be able to be comfortable with it and to be able to practice with it until I know I’m safe and would feel comfortable keeping those around me safe.”
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)