Police, Neighbors Ask for Help After Dog Shot, Killed in Ogden Neighborhood
OGDEN, Utah – A quiet Sunday was interrupted by a loud popping noise. Chris Calver says she heard the gunshot from the outside of one of the duplexes she owns.
“We heard a shot, and then an agonizing yelp from a dog,” Calver said, pointing to the south. “We ran this way, and saw the dog just kind of limping over to the driveway.”
Calver says a couple other neighbors ran over to help as she called 911.
“And my partner was on the way to try and get the dog into the car to take her to a vet as soon as we could,” Calver explained.
But it was too late.
“Heartbreaking, absolutely heartbreaking,” Calver said, sighing. “I mean, I watched that dog’s eyes just, (I’ll) probably never forget it.”
John Sandberg is the owner of the gray husky, named Maya. Sandberg says his mother was watching Maya, when she ran out the door. He says his mother grabbed some shoes to go after her, when it happened.
“I don’t understand why someone would be so cruel to an animal,” Sandberg said. “The sad thing was that she was on her way home when she collapsed. She was trying to get home and get some help.”
Ogden police officers were in the neighborhood, at Mountain Road, and Wild Rose Way, just off 12th Street Monday.
Sandberg says it appears Maya was killed by a single shot from a small caliber firearm.
“They shot her in the lungs, there was no way for her to survive it,” Sandberg said.
Sandberg says there are very few clues as to who shot Maya. He’s hoping someone might know something, and be able to help police find the suspect.
“She was just a sweet dog. I don’t understand why somebody would do this,” Sandberg said. “I mean, she was great with kids. The neighbors liked her.”
Sandberg is grateful for the neighbors who tried to help, and to Calver and her partner, Ann Maruri, who responded right away.
“(They) had wrapped her up in a towel, and it was the last nice thing someone did for her,” Sandberg said. “So I buried her with the towel.”
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 8563)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3901)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 3445)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 2621)
- Alleged fraud committed by top leaders at Layton Christian Academy - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2604)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2477)