Utah Domestic Violence Coalition: Stop Victim Blaming Mackenzie Lueck
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah Domestic Violence Coalition released a statement calling for an end to the victim blaming in the Mackenzie Lueck missing person case.
“The recent disappearance of Mackenzie Lueck has resulted in many people speculating on what may have happened to her and why — with much of the speculation being a blatant form of victim blaming,” according to the statement, released Thursday. “While we do not know the details of Mackenzie’s disappearance, we do know that victim blaming and shaming is inappropriate and unacceptable. In addition to perpetuating myths about abuse, assault, and violence, victim blaming wrongly excuses the perpetrator’s behaviors.”
The coalition’s response comes on the heels of reports that Lueck appears to have been a member on a website called Seeking Arrangements, which claims to match younger individuals looking for older, more affluent people for dates.
“Our focus should solely be on the safety and well being of Mackenzie Lueck,” according to the UDVC.
The Utah Domestic Violence Coalition offers free and confidential help and support for victims and survivors of domestic or intimate partner violence. In the statement, the coalition urges those who need help to call 1-800-897-4565 or go to udvc.org
Lueck disappeared sometime after the early-morning hours of June 17.
- Police Say Man Shot While Driving Through Group Of Protesters In Provo (pageviews: 59190)
- Two Arrested In Connection With Provo Protest Shooting (pageviews: 18191)
- Man Accused Of Shooting Driver During Provo Protests Arrested (pageviews: 11855)
- Police Investigating Reports Of Shots Fired At Protest In Provo (pageviews: 8513)
- Driver Stuck In Middle Of SLC Protest Says She Feared For Her Life (pageviews: 7265)
- Pediatrics Group Says Benefits Of In-Person School Outweigh Virus Risks (pageviews: 4891)
- Woman Gored By Bison In Yellowstone National Park (pageviews: 4663)
- Life Flight Paramedic Injured In Plane Crash Dies (pageviews: 4594)
- Knolls Fire At 10,000 Acres, 25% Contained; Other Fires Burning Across Utah (pageviews: 4057)