Utahns Who Get Unemployment Benefits May Now Get Rent Benefits
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah residents who lost the federal $600 weekly unemployment benefits may qualify for an updated state program that helps people pay their rent.
The Utah Housing and Community Development Division has adjusted requirements for the pandemic housing assistance program so now people who are getting unemployment benefits may qualify for rent assistance, according to a news release.
Before the adjustments, only renters who did not receive unemployment benefits qualified.
The program helps those who lost their jobs because of the COVID-19 pandemic and who have a household income at or below the area median income.
— Ladd Egan (@laddegan) August 6, 2020
The release said the program gives as much as $2,000 a month for rent and utilities. It has helped 285 Utah households stay in their home since it launched in May, paying $383,103 in rent and rent-related payments.
“We continue to adjust the housing assistance program as the landscape of the pandemic changes,” said Jess Peterson, State Housing Programs Manager at the Housing and Community Development Division. “Our goal is to help people stay in their homes and maintain the stability of their families during these hard times.”
The Utah Legislature approved using federal CARES Act funds for the housing assistance program and directed the Utah Housing and Community Development Division to administer the program. Before that funding was available, the division also used other federal funding from HUD to provide pandemic rental assistance starting in May 2020, according to the release.
Call 211 for more information on how and where to qualify.
Anyone who calls should be prepared to be on hold or leave a voicemail so staff can return your call.
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness (pageviews: 207227)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 92740)
- Draper Man Underbids Developers, Buys Property For Farming (pageviews: 9841)
- Utah Lifts Limit On How Many Can Attend Private Gatherings; Mask Mandate Still In Place (pageviews: 3770)
- Draper Man Underbids Developers, Buys Property For Farming – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2979)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2690)
- 11 More Utahns Die Of COVID-19 As Thanksgiving Holiday Approaches (pageviews: 2643)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2039)
- Utah DWR Investigating After Multiple Swans Found Dead Or Injured (pageviews: 1853)