How Much Do You Really Know About Visiting Our Central Wasatch Mountains?
This quiz about watershed facts is presented by the Salt Lake Department of Public Utilities.
These gorgeous mountains draw millions of people to them to take advantage of what they have to offer. Take this quiz to see how much you know.
The Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest is one of the most-visited national forests in the nation?
It even surpasses Yellowstone National Park in annual visits
Skiing, biking, hiking, or just sitting near a stream in the Central Wasatch Mountains can directly affect the quality of the Salt Lake Valley’s drinking water?
These mountain watershed areas provide 60 percent of the drinking water in the Salt Lake Valley; anything that happens on the land will eventually end up in the water
What is a watershed area?
They produce very pure water
In 1847, the Mormon pioneers began settling what is now known as Salt Lake City. The Central Wasatch Mountains provided water, timber, stone, land for grazing, game for hunting, and recreational opportunities. By 1900, these activities had deforested the canyons, leaving Salt Lake City with dirty and unusable drinking water. To protect drinking sources and plant new trees, the Wasatch Forest Reserve (now called the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest) was established. Salt Lake City and the Forest Service created a nursery at what is now known as…
Millions of saplings were grown in that area and replanted across the Wasatch Front
True or false: Salt Lake City has acquired 36,000 acres of watershed land that is protected through a collaborative management process to ensure the Salt Lake Valley has pure, reliable water now and in the future.
As a result, they have been able to meet water quality standards while accommodating the growing demands of recreational users in the watershed areas; in some areas of the country watershed areas are completely closed for public use
Salt Lake City’s protected watershed areas are in which five Wasatch canyons?
Please select 5 correct answers
Keeping our watershed water pure is important to all of us. We all have a stake in what they provide environmentally, recreationally, and culturally. Being a good steward of our watersheds means doing which of the following things?
Please select 5 correct answers
Do you know what a pika is? A pika named Kip will help Salt Lake City Department of Public Utilities spread the word this summer about what is expected when visiting our watersheds.
There aren’t many of them left so you’ll be lucky if you see one, but you may hear one whistle at you as they dive into their burrow
How long does it take a drop of water in the Central Wasatch Mountains to reach a faucet in the Salt Lake Valley?
With more and more people visiting our precious watersheds, it is more important than every for us to remember to Keep It Pure
Share your Results:
Knowing more about our amazing Central Wasatch Mountains and the pure water they produce for hundreds of thousands of Salt Lake Valley residents is a critical part of ensuring they’ll continue providing clean water for generations to come. Keeping our watersheds clean and open to recreational use is an enormous effort that cannot be done without everyone’s help. We must all do our part and be good stewards.
- Instagram account of missing woman returns after being deactivated (pageviews: 95844)
- Moab police release details on incident between missing 22-year-old & boyfriend (pageviews: 34665)
- Moab police say they responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 17332)
- Moab Police responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend (pageviews: 16940)
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito's van in Grand Teton National Park (pageviews: 13719)
- One killed, another injured after industrial incident at University Hospital (pageviews: 12880)
- Boyfriend of missing 22-year-old woman named person of interest (pageviews: 11372)
- Moab police say they responded to incident involving missing woman, boyfriend (pageviews: 11125)
- Moab police release details on incident between missing 22-year-old & boyfriend (pageviews: 9961)