Great Salt Lake Sets Record Low Water Level
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The U.S. Geological Survey reported that the southern portion of the Great Salt Lake dropped to a new historic low, and lake levels will get much worse before they improve.
The new low dropped about an inch below the previous record which was set in 1963.
“Based on current trends and historical data, the USGS anticipates water levels may decline an additional foot over the next several months,” said USGS Utah Water Science Center data chief Ryan Rowland. “This information is critical in helping resource managers make informed decisions on Great Salt Lake resources. You can’t manage what you don’t measure.”
@USGS_UT confirms that the south arm of the #GreatSaltLake has reached a new historic low elevation. “The Great Salt Lake has been gradually declining for some time, current drought conditions have accelerated its fall to this historic low,” said DNR Director Brian Steed. (cont.) pic.twitter.com/yGLW7q5z1y
— Utah DNR (@UtahDNR) July 24, 2021
The USGS uses an average of daily lake level measurements to determine an accurate measurement.
A news release said USGS lake levels date to 1847.
KSL previously reported that about half of the lake’s surface, nearly 750 square miles or roughly the size of Maui, is dry.
“While the Great Salt Lake has been gradually declining for some time, current drought conditions have accelerated its fall to this new historic low,” said Utah Department of Natural Resources executive director Brian Steed. “We must find ways to balance Utah’s growth with maintaining a healthy lake. Ecological, environmental and economical balance can be found by working together as elected leaders, agencies, industry, stakeholders, and citizens working together.”
The USGS said streamflow levels across the state were also impacted by extreme drought conditions. Currently, 63% of streamgages with at least 20 years of records are reporting below-normal flows
You can track the latest USGS drought reports here.
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito’s van in Grand Teton National Park – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 86721)
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito's van in Grand Teton National Park (pageviews: 55465)
- Draper family: Airbnb no help after someone lists their home as a rental & guests started showing up – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 43765)
- Grand County Sheriff’s Office investigating Moab murders & Petito disappearance (pageviews: 28658)
- Boyfriend of missing 22-year-old woman declared missing (pageviews: 19844)
- Draper family: Airbnb no help after someone lists their home as a rental & guests started showing up (pageviews: 18700)
- Private investigator surprised search warrant hasn’t been served at house of Gabby Petito’s boyfriend – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12919)
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9483)
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito (pageviews: 9462)