Former U. Star MyKayla Skinner Grateful For Utah’s Support During Olympics
TOKYO — Former University of Utah star MyKayla Skinner told KSL’s Shara Park she is ready to move forward with plans to finish school at the U. while her husband finishes at Brigham Young University after she didn’t qualify for any of the individual women’s gymnastics event finals.
“It is kind of sad,” Skinner said. “It is my last meet ever and not being able to go back and compete as a Red Rock and see the Utah fans post about this Olympics, they were posting past videos, ‘always a Red Rock’ and an Olympian, so that was just really special to me to see that I still have that family and support from everyone.”
Skinner said she wants to eventually start a family and she also wants a career in broadcast journalism. But before she does all that, she shared one last message for Utah and all of her supportive Red Rock fans.
Utah's Mykayla Skinner has so much love and respect for Utah and her @UtahGymnastics Red Rocks family. During our one-on-one interview she shared this message from Tokyo. @kslsports @KSL5TV @mykaylaskinner #Olympics #TokyoOlympics #gymnastics pic.twitter.com/jhUX73Fvh0
— Shara Park (@KSLSharaPark) July 27, 2021
“I’m going to miss you 15,000 fans in the stadium — that was seriously the best getting that standing ovation on floor all the time,” Skinner said. “They have seriously been amazing, and to see their support through all of this has made it easier for me to go out there and do my thing. I know they’ll always be cheering for me and I love you guys so much. So, thanks to everyone in the Ute family for being there and giving me the love and support.”
Skinner said she’s excited to cheer on her team in the final and she originally planned on returning home in the next few days.
However, with Simone Biles withdrawing from the team final Tuesday morning, Skinner could possibly fill in on the vault.
No official decision on whether Biles will continue in any individual final has been announced.
KSL 5 TV Live
- 'It just keeps coming': Warnings issued in Utah with wintry week ahead (pageviews: 9883)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 9675)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 8289)
- Police officer wounded, gunman killed in Springville shootout (pageviews: 7785)
- 2 accused of fraud across multiple states with help from Utah store employee (pageviews: 7017)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6751)