Frozen fruit recalled from Target, Walmart, Whole Foods in Utah with possible Listeria contamination
Jun 22, 2023, 6:02 PM | Updated: Jun 23, 2023, 6:18 am
Multiple brands of frozen fruit available in multiple Utah stores has been recalled due to the potential contamination of Listeria monocytogenes.
Listeria causes fever, severe headaches, stiffness, nausea, pain and diarrhea to healthy people it can cause serious and even fatal infections in young children, the frail, elderly and people with weakened immune systems. Listeria infection can also cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
The recall was issued by Sunrise Growers Inc., a subsidiary of SunOpta Inc. It is believed the a third-party provided pineapple that could have been contaminated.
Products were delivered to the following Utah retailers:
- Walmart: Great Value Mixed Fruit, Great Value Dark Sweet Cherries, and Great Value Mango Chunks sold at stores in AR, AZ, CA, CO, DC, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NM, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, SD, TX, UT, VA, WV and WY from Jan. 19, 2023 to June 13, 2023
- Whole Foods: 365 Organic Tropical Fruit Medley, 365 Organic Pineapple Chunks, 365 Pineapple Chunks, 365 Organic Whole Strawberries, 365 Organic Slice Strawberries and Bananas, and 365 Organic Blackberries distributed to select stores throughout the U.S. from Nov. 1, 2022 to June 21, 2023.
- Target: Good & Gather Organic Cherries and Berries Fruit Blend, Good & Gather Dark Sweet Whole Pitted Cherries, Good & Gather Mango Strawberry Blend, Good & Gather Mixed Fruit Blend, Good & Gather Mango Chunks, Good & Gather Blueberries, and Good & Gather Triple Berry Blend distributed nationwide from Oct. 14, 2022 to May 22, 202
The following stores also received the potentially contaminated product, but not in Utah.
- Trader Joe’s: Trader Joe’s Organic Tropical Fruit Blend distributed to select distribution centers or stores in AK, AL, CT, CO, DE, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, TN, TX, VA, VT, WI, and Washington DC from March 28, 2023 to April 11, 2023.
- Aldi: Season’s Choice Tropical Blend distributed to select distribution centers or stores in AL, AR, CT, FL, GA, IA, KS, KY, MA, MD, MI, MO, MS, NC, NE, NH, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT and WV from Oct. 11, 2022 to May 22, 2023
- AWG (Associated Wholesale Grocers): Best Choice Pitted Red Tart Cherries Unsweetened distributed to select distribution centers or stores in KS, MO, NE and OK from April 5, 2023 to May 4, 2023.
Consumers are urged to check their freezers for the recalled product, not to consume it and either discard the product or return it to the store for a full refund,” FDA said.
To check lot numbers visit here.