Robbery Suspect Shot, Killed After Chase With Police
OGDEN, Utah – Police tape closed down a busy Ogden intersection at 12th Street and Depot Drive Tuesday night after a chase and officer-involved shooting that left a robbery suspect dead.
Police say they saw a stolen vehicle that had been linked to the suspect at the apartment and a device was placed to flatten one of the vehicle’s tires.
“The suspect gets into the vehicle to leave, before our officers are able to confront him. He runs over the device, flattens one of his tires, then they follow the vehicle until the accident occurs on 12th and Depot Drive,” Deputy Chief Eric Young said.
Nicole Mark was driving on 12th Street. She said she saw a white SUV driving towards her, doing anything to get away.
“It narrowly missed my car and the car behind me, and he kept gassing it and he hit two other cars behind us,” Mark said.
Mark says she saw an officer approach the passenger side of the vehicle.
“The officer was making commands of the suspect inside the vehicle to exit the vehicle and show his hands when the gun was pointed at the officer,” Deputy Chief Young said.
Mark said she heard four or five shots.
“Hearing gunshots, that definitely was freaky,” Mark said.
The suspect, an 18-year-old Hispanic man, died. Police are working to notify his family.
The suspect was one of three suspects wanted for at least four armed robberies in both Weber and Davis County, including one at a 7-Eleven in Ogden where the attendant was pistol-whipped.
Police say no bystanders or officers were hurt in the chase or shooting. Deputy Chief Young says that the officers helped keep people safe by flattening the suspects tire before the chase started.
“Our officers were thinking ahead, trying to keep the community safe when they took these actions,” Deputy Chief Young said.
Police are still working to find the third suspect in the armed robberies. Ogden police say only one suspect is still out there, but they’re not sure where the other suspect is. It’s possible they’ve been arrested by another county or city.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 13464)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 10146)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10091)
- Utah truck driver arrested in California cold case from 1994 (pageviews: 6951)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 5445)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5414)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 4793)