NBC’s ‘Superstore’ Actor Has Personal Connection To Character On Sitcom
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) – For Nico Santos, the role he plays on NBC’s sitcom “Superstore” is personal.
“I never thought in a million years I’d be involved in a project that celebrated the fullness of my identity of being queer and Asian,” Santos said during the Television Critics Association winter meeting Tuesday, where TV networks and streaming services presented details on upcoming programs.
He also appreciates the comedy’s focus on what his character, Mateo, has faced after learning that he’s an immigrant in the country illegally.
“I certainly know a lot of members of my community who are undocumented, and that’s so relevant right now. I’ve gotten so many messages from everybody. People stop me wherever I go who are … just really appreciative of the fact that we’ve tackled the issue, because they themselves are undocumented or a family member or a loved one is undocumented.”
Santos, who played Oliver in “Crazy Rich Asians,” said he’s grateful the comedy is portraying the character with “dignity and respect.”
New episodes of “Superstore” begin Thursday, March 7, at 7 p.m., right after KSL 5 News at 6:30, on NBC.
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says (pageviews: 33024)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 22249)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 17815)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12809)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8138)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 5410)