Body Of A West Valley City Man Is Recovered From Provo River
PROVO, Utah (AP) — Utah County Sheriff’s officials say searchers have recovered the body of a West Valley City man from Provo Canyon.
They say the man has been identified as 21-year-old Albert John “AJ” Mapa.
Authorities say Mapa reportedly jumped from a bridge into the waters of a diversion dam Saturday and apparently drowned.
The young man who drowned in Provo Canyon tonight is Albert John (Goes by AJ) Mapa, age 21, of West Valley City. He recently returned from serving an LDS mission in Tonga. His family and friends shared one of his favorite Tongan hymns. @UCSO pic.twitter.com/3qrPdW8ZTZ
— Spencer Cannon (@SGTCannonPIO) July 28, 2019
They say Mapa recently returned to Utah after serving a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints mission in Tonga.
Mapa was reported missing in the water about 5:45 p.m. Saturday.
That prompted a response from sheriff’s deputies, search and rescue crews and North Fork firefighters.
Sheriff’s officials say a search and rescue crew found the body around 9 p.m. about 35 feet downriver from where he was last seen at the Olmstead Diversion Dam on the Provo River.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)