Driver Injured After Semi Carrying Beer Crashes Into Church Parking Lot
SANDY, Utah – A semi-truck hauling beer crashed into a church parking lot Thursday morning, seriously injuring the driver.
The incident happened at shortly after 6:15 a.m. next to a meetinghouse for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints located in the area of 1300 East and 11400 South.
Police in sandy investigating a traffic accident that caused this Bud light semi to roll. Driver taken to hospital in serious condition. A passerby attempting to help also transported after she fell. Hazmat cleaning up leaking fuel, beer and other beverages. @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/forhMrnArg
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) October 10, 2019
Officials said the semi-truck and a gray pickup truck collided, causing the semi to crash over a retaining wall and into the church parking lot. It’s estimated the drop was approximately 25 feet from the road to the lot below.
Authorities said the driver of the semi-truck was pinned inside the cab in the crash.
“The crews that came from heavy rescue team had to cut the roof off of the semi and cut part of the steering wheel away just to make enough room to maneuver the driver out of the driver position,” said Ryan McConaghie with the Sandy Fire Department.
It took approximately 45 minutes to extricate the driver, he said.
McConaghie said a good Samaritan at the scene twisted her knee after falling off the retaining wall when she tried to help. She was also transported to the hospital.
In addition to beer and other beverages that were spilled onto the parking lot, crews also had to contain diesel fuel that was leaking from a ruptured tank.
The gray pickup managed to stop on the road and did not fall over the retaining wall.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 3523)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 3509)
- Body found in Jordan River, police investigating (pageviews: 3503)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 3387)
- Wednesday's Child: Creative 13-year-old Kaydee hopes to find forever family (pageviews: 2864)
- Sewage provides alternative insight into COVID-19 surge direction (pageviews: 2841)