Safe In 60: Are You Wearing Your Face Mask Correctly?
Apr 20, 2020, 8:01 AM
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The State of Utah is asking each resident to help slow the spread of COVID-19 by wearing a face mask while in public areas where it’s hard to practice social distancing – such as grocery stores.
To be effective, though, the masks need to be worn correctly.
When it comes to wearing face coverings, there are endless options – from disposable masks to old bandanas to something homemade.
If you choose a homemade face covering, it should:
- Fit snugly, but comfortably, against the side of the face
- Be secured with ear loops
- Include multiple layers of fabric, but still allow for breathing without restriction
- Be able to to be laundered and machine dried without damage or losing shape
There are three things to remember while putting on and wearing a face covering:
- Wash your hands before putting it on and taking it off
- Make sure it covers your nose, mouth and chin
- Try not to touch your face mask to adjust it – and never touch the front
Don’t take your mask off from the front. Instead, grab it by the ear straps, and be careful not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
When you’re done wearing it, either throw it away or wash it. Then, rewash your hands.