Navajo Nation Reports 2 More COVID-19 Deaths, 71 New Cases
WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — The Navajo Nation has reported 2 more deaths related to COVID-19 and 71 new cases as health officials continue to test residents aggressively.
According to numbers released Sunday afternoon, 7,804 people have tested positive for the virus, while 377 people have died from it on the reservation.
Approximately 5,543 Navajo citizens have recovered, according to data from 12 local health care facilities.
A total of 58,440 tests have reportedly been administered.
The updated numbers come as Navajo officers and the New Mexico National Guard continue to enforce the 57-hour weekend lockdown. It went into effect beginning Friday at 8:00 p.m. and will end Monday at 5:00 a.m.
Officials said the holiday weekend lockdown is the first of three consecutive weekend lockdowns on the Navajo Nation to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
“We are aware that there are a handful of residents who choose not to stay home, but I want to thank the majority of Navajo people who are considerate of the health of their families and others by staying home during the lockdown,” said Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez. “In areas around the Navajo Nation, it’s unfortunate that we are seeing large gatherings during the holiday despite the warnings and advice of health care experts.”
Nez said he’s optimistic the measures they have in place will prevent a second spike in cases on the reservation.
The Navajo Reservation spans the Four Corners area that includes part of southeastern Utah. Here’s a breakdown of the reported coronavirus cases by Service Unit:
- Chinle Service Unit: 1,978
- Crownpoint Service Unit: 672
- Ft. Defiance Service Unit: 490
- Gallup Service Unit: 1,295
- Kayenta Service Unit: 1,113
- Shiprock Service Unit: 1,257
- Tuba City Service Unit: 691
- Winslow Service Unit: 304
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7254)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 4854)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 4398)
- 'He seemed prepared for battle:' Neighbors terrified after encounter with armed stranger (pageviews: 3683)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3016)
- One dead, one in critical condition after being hit while changing tires in Ogden (pageviews: 2865)