U Of U Tests Thousands Of Students For COVID, Sets Up Isolation Dorms
SALT LAKE CITY — The first day of classes at the University of Utah start Monday, and the university is taking a lot of precautions, hoping they won’t have to send everyone home.
Before moving in in shifts this week, every student living on campus had to get a mandatory COVID-19 test.
Approximately 3,500 students were tested. Most students were very supportive.
“I don’t think you could have classes in person if you haven’t tested every person,” said Tyler Telleson. “I’m 100% glad they did it.”
“I think, kind of like the NBA bubble, there should be some weekly tests,” said Truman Wisen.
University officials said so far, a handful of students have tested positive.
They hope to have all the results by Monday. But just in case students living on campus get sick, they have a plan for that.
“So, we are right now inside an example of an isolation room here at the University of Utah,” demonstrated Lexie Maschoff, a housing official.
There are about 400 isolation dorm rooms scattered among the buildings — each equipped with a bed, desk, bathroom, mini fridge, microwave and clean linens.
The dorms are for students who test positive for COVID or those who come into contact with someone who has it.
Some students who tested positive moved into those isolation dorms; others chose to go home.
Other rules include no guests in the dorms, no large gatherings, and everyone should be wearing masks — except when they’re in their rooms.
All these precautions are in place with the hope that students will be able to stay. And with other campuses nationwide already having outbreaks, students say the rules are a very good thing.
“Hopefully we can just get as long as we can,” said TJ Frongillo. “Hopefully we can get through to Thanksgiving.”
KSL 5 TV Live
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 136150)
- Police: Hoax targets several Utah schools with fake shooting threats (pageviews: 26200)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 9800)
- Crews recover body of missing snowmobiler who was buried in Utah County avalanche (pageviews: 9341)
- 3 killed in multi-vehicle crash; NB I-15 closed for several hours in Box Elder County (pageviews: 9283)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 6559)