Gov. Herbert Offers Guidance On Trick-Or-Treating Amid Pandemic
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Halloween is just a few weeks away and Gov. Gary Herbert offered early guidance on how to trick or treat safely during the pandemic.
Young people have suffered a severe disruption in their social lives as schools canceled classes at the beginning of the pandemic and reopened in the fall, with many struggling to keep the coronavirus in check and give students the opportunity to socialize with in-person classes.
Thursday, Herbert suggested what he called “common sense” measures to protect kids and the households they will visit for candy.
LIVE: Gov. Gary Herbert is holding a press conference with updates on COVID-19 in Utah.
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Thursday, October 8, 2020
When it comes to costumes, Herbert said, “Masks are the norm for Halloween, and we want to make sure that people have a safe and enjoyable Halloween.”
He said the costume masks do not prevent the spread of COVID-19 aerosols.
“If you have a Halloween mask, wear a mask underneath it — a real mask that will help you,” he said.
When going door-to-door in groups, make sure you are still at least six feet apart.
Be patient when approaching a home that has people already on the porch.
“If somebody’s on the porch, wait until they clear,” Herbert said.
Finally, he said do not eat the candy before you get home.
“It might need to have a sanitary wipe on the labels to make sure there’s no virus that they can catch,” Herbert said. “A simple disinfecting wipe will do the job there.”
Nationwide, candy sales were up 13% compared to last year, and Halloween chocolate sales were up 25%.
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness (pageviews: 98459)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 32060)
- Wednesday's Child: 3 Siblings Adopted Together After Years In Foster Care (pageviews: 5256)
- Draper Man Underbids Developers, Buys Property For Farming (pageviews: 3314)
- 11 More Utahns Die Of COVID-19 As Thanksgiving Holiday Approaches (pageviews: 2532)
- Utah DWR Investigating After Multiple Swans Found Dead Or Injured (pageviews: 2219)
- 26 Utahns Have Died From COVID-19; 570 People Are Hospitalized (pageviews: 2048)
- Utah Mom Warning Others After 6-Year-Old Girl Hospitalized With Rare COVID-19 Syndrome (pageviews: 1878)
- Body Discovered In Salt Lake City Field, Police Say (pageviews: 1836)