Utah Arch Challenge Enters ‘Eroded 8’
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah Arch Challenge, formerly known as “Arch Madness,” pits some of the state’s well-known and lesser-known arches against each other.
It includes 64 arches and natural bridges in six single-elimination rounds, similar to the NCAA Tournament.
The director of the Utah Geological Survey described the tournament as a creative distraction from COVID and a way for Utahns to learn more about the state’s arches.
“Vote each round for your favorite arches as we trim the field of 64 geologic hopefuls to the ‘Faunal Four’ contenders, and ultimately Utah’s sole champion,” according to the Arch Challenge site. “The outcome of this single-elimination challenge is solely determined by your participation.”
Voting for the “Eroded 8” round is open through the end of Tuesday.
The remaining contenders include five arches – Metate, Delicate, Bowtie, Double and Pritchett, and three bridges – Coyote Natural Bridge, Owachomo Bridge and Natural Bridges in Spooky Gulch.
The Faunal Four kicks off Friday.
2021 Utah Arch Challenge Bracket
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)