Navajo Nation Reports No COVID-19 Deaths For 8th Day
WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. (AP) — The Navajo Nation said it has had no new COVID-19 related deaths for an eighth consecutive day.
The tribe on Sunday afternoon reported seven new virus cases but no additional deaths on the vast reservation.
The latest numbers bring the Navajo Nation’s pandemic case total to 30,366 with the death toll remaining at 1,262.
7 new cases, 16,477 recoveries, and no deaths related to COVID-19 pic.twitter.com/5BO0RBPrJP
— Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez (@NNPrezNez) April 18, 2021
Tribal officials said 16,477 people have recovered from COVID-19 thus far.
The tribe slowed its reopening process somewhat after coronavirus variants were confirmed on the reservation, which stretches into New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona.
Tribal officials have urged residents to stay vigilant. They say a recent cluster was due to a family gathering with no masks.
Have you or a family member been affected by coronavirus issues in Utah? KSL wants to hear from you. Contact KSL by emailing email@example.com.
The latest COVID-19 stories from KSL can be found here.
How do I prevent it?
The CDC has some simple recommendations, most of which are the same for preventing other respiratory illnesses or the flu:
- Avoid close contact with people who may be sick
- Avoid touching your face
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
The CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.
- Utah boy dies after falling off school slide (pageviews: 19686)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 9869)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 8132)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 7085)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 5854)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3704)