Armenians In Utah Gather To Honor Genocide Anniversary
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Armenians in Utah gathered in Salt Lake City to honor the anniversary of the genocide and to celebrate President Biden’s distinction.
They met Saturday afternoon, exactly 106 years after the mass killings.
It was a milestone day for Armenians after President Joe Biden formally acknowledged the more than one million Armenians killed by the Ottoman Turks a century ago as genocide.
Other presidents have acknowledged the mass killings, but did not use the word genocide due to Turkish objections.
Those killings began on April 24, 1915.
Local Armenians and descendants of survivors said it was important to use the word genocide when speaking about what happened.
“It is very important for the world to realize that Armenians did have a genocide and we need to prevent it in the future,” said Diana Pogosyan, a University of Utah law student and direct descendant of Armenian genocide survivors.
Turkey has maintained that the number of dead Armenians was 300,000.
Country officials also said it was a period of war and losses were on both sides.
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 15557)
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 12470)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9294)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 6279)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6040)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5879)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5783)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 5356)